Estimated time for braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chippy3000

Re: Estimated time for braces

#61 Post by Chippy3000 »

I've been told 9 months but my bite is fine. Some crowding and rotation. I opted for 6ms because bite is ok and it's really only the front which need any serious adjustment.

I have low bone density, not sure if thats a good thing!

littlething

#62 Post by littlething »

My ortho verbally told me 30 months, but my written estimate says 27-33 months, so hopefully I will fall in between than and actually finish at 30 months. But EVERYONE (including the oral surgeon doing my extractions) keeps telling me, "it ALWAYS takes longer." :roll: We'll see...

N8kpx

#63 Post by N8kpx »

I was told 24-30 months. Currently, 24 months on top and 16 months on the bottom. I was told yesterday an additional 18 months. Not a happy camper.

AdelaidePsycho

#64 Post by AdelaidePsycho »

My estimated time has been very inconsistent.

To begin with, my ortho told me that at the 1yr mark we could discuss switching from ceramic braces to invisalign, but that I would be so close to finishing at that point that I wouldn't want to change.

My official treatment plan, however, said 24 months.

I'm now at the 20 month mark, and no talk has occurred whatsoever about invisalign or about an upcoming de-bracing. I do know that I'm on the second to last wire (it's called 'shiny bright', and the last one is the finishing wire), but I still have gaps left over from extractions that need to be closed.

Soooo, I highly doubt these are going to be off by 24 months. It just goes to show that the estimated times are just that - an estimation.

cdmoses6

#65 Post by cdmoses6 »

I was told 22-24 months. I am now 13 months in and was told at my last appointment that I'm almost done! My next appointment is at the 14 month mark and as long as nothin crazy comes up I should be scheduling my debracing appointment next time!
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

Len

#66 Post by Len »

My estimated time is 2 years and a half because my teeth are that bad. But if I see this much improvement and I've only got braces for 18 days, I'd say I'll get them off in less time, maybe 2 years. Let's say they always exagerate a bit because you might not use your rubberbands correctly, you might break something etc.

ashleyy

#67 Post by ashleyy »

I was told anywhere from 28 to 36 months. I'm starting the prep stuff next week (like spacers, bands etc...) and then my the first week of May I'll be getting the braces.

Welshrarebit

#68 Post by Welshrarebit »

I was told at my consultation 18 months. After having them put on, the Ortho said "2 years MINIMUM". Great. Apparently adult teeth are tougher to move than juvenile teeth. I'm still hoping that I'll have really cooperative teeth and they'll slide into line sooner....

stellarxoxo

#69 Post by stellarxoxo »

I was told 18-22 months. I have an anterior crossbite.

carrieann

#70 Post by carrieann »

18-24 months. I don't think my case is very complicated, just crowding, class 1 bite and crossbite tendency. But I really don't know know much about orthodontics. Hopefully nothing goes wrong and they come off in 18 mo. My first consult was for 18-20 so it crept up a bit since then. I'm dreading the elastics, I haven't been told yet when those come on.

Question- Do teeth only move right when the braces are put on and after new wires? In between, when the pain goes away are they idle and just regenerating cells or tissue?

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

midtownlwl

#71 Post by midtownlwl »

I was told 18-24 months. 3 months in now

Wintersong

#72 Post by Wintersong »

24 months with corrective jaw surgery after 12 months.

kip

#73 Post by kip »

I was given an 18 month sentence. I'm hoping that my teeth move super fast and I don't have them on for that long as I'm due to be a bridesmaid 17 months in and a maid of honour 21 months in!!!

So exciting, I want perfect teeth for my friend's big days!! :jump:

Bmac88

#74 Post by Bmac88 »

24 months (seems to be the usual!) but fingers crossed it will be less.. (if it goes to the exact 24, I will be getting them off the day before my 30th bday- happy birthday to me!)

shanlola

#75 Post by shanlola »

I am 3 months into a 15-18 month sentance! I was surprised that my treatment plan appears to be shorter than some I see on here as my teeth were far from perfect to begin with! Maybe my ortho is just optimistic! However they have moved so quickly I am hoping they will come off at 15 months which means i have only a year left. I graduate from university in October next year so as long as the braces come off after 20 months from the beginning of treatment this will mean me being brace free for my graduation ceremony and pictures so I am feeling optimistic either way :)