SirWired's Guide to Mouthwashes and Toothpastes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ALP

Re: SirWired's Guide to Mouthwashes and Toothpastes

#16 Post by ALP »

I am trying to see pics need to post.

Ravenclaw

#17 Post by Ravenclaw »

[quote="ALP"]I am trying to see pics need to post.[/quote]

LOL

BlondeCam

#18 Post by BlondeCam »

WOW! Thanks!

LetsBraceIt

#19 Post by LetsBraceIt »

Just bookmarked this. Thank you for taking the time to write all this information and as others have said, it's extremely helpful!!

pitasyd

#20 Post by pitasyd »

This thread has been very helpful to me. I'll be getting braces in a month so I been preparing myself for the tools I'll need.

IssaAnon

#21 Post by IssaAnon »

Wow this post was super in depth. I didn't know there was so much to know about toothpaste and mouthwash.

pteryxm

#22 Post by pteryxm »

Interesting read, thanks for the post!

Dubzoo

#23 Post by Dubzoo »

I've seen so much back and forth on whether or not to use whitening toothpaste while wearing braces. Is the whitening action really strong enough to make much of a difference and leave non-white squares on your teeth when your braces are removed? I would think since those spots aren't getting stained by food anyway it wouldn't matter, they'll be whiter anyway.

EmilyTravels

#24 Post by EmilyTravels »

Dubzoo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:45 pm I've seen so much back and forth on whether or not to use whitening toothpaste while wearing braces. Is the whitening action really strong enough to make much of a difference and leave non-white squares on your teeth when your braces are removed? I would think since those spots aren't getting stained by food anyway it wouldn't matter, they'll be whiter anyway.
I'm really coming to the same conclusion. I think some of the super-duper "optic white" toothpastes are probably better to be avoided, but the typical whitening toothpastes are probably not a problem, especially since almost all toothpastes now tout "whitening" on their labels. I even read that in most cases, it's just fluoride that gives them their "whitening" power, and most, if not all toothpastes contain fluoride.

My teeth were whiter pre-braces anyway and have dulled some while in braces, so I think using whitening toothpaste might actually keep them even in color, rather than making the non-bracketed portions whiter than what is under the brackets. Probably depends a lot on the individual and their teeth to begin with, but it's just easier for orthos and techs to say "no whitening toothpaste" to keep it simple.