Has anyone had their premolar(s) take the place of their canine(s)?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

foreverbraced

Has anyone had their premolar(s) take the place of their canine(s)?

#1 Post by foreverbraced »

Heya! I have one impacted canine that according to the orthodontist, has a position that is not favourable for exposing. Now he's moving my premolar into the position of my canine (the premolar on the other side has been extracted) and says that at the end he'll do something to it in order to make it look like a canine. Has anyone else gotten this before? What I'm most bothered by is that even though they may look the same, they will still feel different (I know weird, but I've thought and worried about this so much that I've even cried about it before). So yea, how do the results look like and is there a significant difference?

rachelb

Re: Has anyone had their premolar(s) take the place of their canine(s)?

#2 Post by rachelb »

Hey there, this is exactly what is going to happen to me as well! :P I was also looking for people who have had this experience since I'm still early in my ortho treatment and I was curious to know what to expect.
Good luck with your treatment and try not to worry too much :)

foreverbraced

#3 Post by foreverbraced »

[quote="rachelb"]Hey there, this is exactly what is going to happen to me as well! :P I was also looking for people who have had this experience since I'm still early in my ortho treatment and I was curious to know what to expect.
Good luck with your treatment and try not to worry too much :)[/quote]

Thanks and good luck to you too! Hopefully there are more replies that'll clarify how this will go. :)

Mac123

#4 Post by Mac123 »

This is what is happening to me as well. But first they need to rotate my first premolar on the left side....The one on the right is fine. They will move all my back teeth forward (except the last molar). I am so nervous. I am 2 weeks into treatment and still can't even imagine what it's going to look like. Glad you made this post, I was beginning to think I was the only person to have this problem (google produced no results!)

Good luck everyone

foreverbraced

#5 Post by foreverbraced »

Wow, I'm actually surprised that there'd actually be people in this same situation. Hopefully someone that has completed their treatment sees this and sheds some light on the subject

Mac123

#6 Post by Mac123 »

I am as well.... I really thought I was the only one. I am dying to know what the end result will look like. I know I won't have perfect teeth, but I hope they will look good. Not knowing is a nightmare!

foreverbraced

#7 Post by foreverbraced »

Hey its been a long time since a reply has been posted on this thread so I thought of reviving it!

First of all... how are your mouths doing? Any updates?

For me nothing much, unfortunately. My midline got "fixed" (it's still 0.1mm off IMO) and now the ortho is moving the other teeth over, he predicts It'll take about half a year until my top teeth are in place wooo

rachelb

#8 Post by rachelb »

Oh well, my midline is way off, even worse than it was before the treatment due to my having an open coil on the right side to make place for the impacted canine that is slowly making its way down. The coil is pushing my upper teeth towards the left, so the midline is not only shifted, but the teeth are also oblique instead of vertical :?
In my case things seem to be going slowly but surely. I'm just a little comcerned about the fact that I am 6 months into treatment already and my upper archwire has never been changed, dunno if that's normal...
How about you, foreverbraced, any news in your case? :tingrin:

DrJasonKTam

#9 Post by DrJasonKTam »

There are instances where we choose to substitute the premolar for the canine. From an aesthetic perspective, they both look very similar from the buccal view. The difference is the additional lingual cusp, but generally not noticeable.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

millersgirl

#10 Post by millersgirl »

This is what I'm planning on doing.
My impacted tooth is stuck. We've tried pulling for about a year and a half. In the mean time we've created a HUGE gap and my midline is completely jacked.
I told my ortho today I'm not interested in the implant and he seemed annoyed. He said, well you know this is going to add 2 to 3 years to your treatment time, right?
Ugh. I'm so depressed about all of this and honestly regret even getting braces. This has been a nightmare from the start. I'm dreading going back to have the impacted canine pulled. Another oral surgery...yippie. :-+

foreverbraced

#11 Post by foreverbraced »

rachelb wrote:Oh well, my midline is way off, even worse than it was before the treatment due to my having an open coil on the right side to make place for the impacted canine that is slowly making its way down. The coil is pushing my upper teeth towards the left, so the midline is not only shifted, but the teeth are also oblique instead of vertical :?
In my case things seem to be going slowly but surely. I'm just a little comcerned about the fact that I am 6 months into treatment already and my upper archwire has never been changed, dunno if that's normal...
How about you, foreverbraced, any news in your case? :tingrin:
I've been trying to get my orthodontist to do the surgery to expose the canine and bring it down, all his answers so far have been no though :-+ he said It'd be impossible to bring it down, but honestly, I just can't believe it without actually trying.

Other than that, I also have a huge gap that he has just started to close :GapToothed: hope it goes away soon :FeelSick:

As for the archwire, I don't think my orthodondist has ever changed it for the past year, so I'd say it's fine. You can always ask them!
Last edited by foreverbraced on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

foreverbraced

#12 Post by foreverbraced »

millersgirl wrote:This is what I'm planning on doing.
My impacted tooth is stuck. We've tried pulling for about a year and a half. In the mean time we've created a HUGE gap and my midline is completely jacked.
I told my ortho today I'm not interested in the implant and he seemed annoyed. He said, well you know this is going to add 2 to 3 years to your treatment time, right?
Ugh. I'm so depressed about all of this and honestly regret even getting braces. This has been a nightmare from the start. I'm dreading going back to have the impacted canine pulled. Another oral surgery...yippie. :-+
Canines am I right? Though for different reasons, I also got about another year/year and a half added to my treatment :braces_angry:

foreverbraced

#13 Post by foreverbraced »

DrJasonKTam wrote:There are instances where we choose to substitute the premolar for the canine. From an aesthetic perspective, they both look very similar from the buccal view. The difference is the additional lingual cusp, but generally not noticeable.
Thanks for replying! I would like to ask if you have any pictures of how it looks like? Really interested in seeing the final results.

foreverbraced

#14 Post by foreverbraced »

Guys! I found a timelapse of someone who's had a similar treatment done!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqjkb0V48s However mine is only on one side so I don't know how they'd turn out to be but hopefully just as good as hers. :)

vampirefangs22

#15 Post by vampirefangs22 »

My upper right canine and 1st premolar are completely transposed. In addition, my upper right canine was impacted at one point, as well as 2 other canines in my mouth. My orthodontist and I both agreed that the best treatment for this problem would be to align the teeth in their transposed positions. I'm not sure if my orthodontist will reshape those 2 teeth considering that my upper 1st premolars are sharp and pointy just like my canines, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I barely even notice the transposition.

Lower braces - Halloween 2019
Upper braces - January 9th, 2020
Debonded since May 4th, 2023