What to do before you even get braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceyfaceyjulie

What to do before you even get braces?

#1 Post by braceyfaceyjulie »

So, I have my records appointments next friday but I won't be getting my braces on till the end of September.
I know you should go to your dentist and just make sure that your teeth are okay in regards to any fillings, etc.

But, what else can you do to prepare your mouth for braces?

And what about getting them whitened? Should I do that before or after braces?

Thanks!

EWUgal15

Re: What to do before you even get braces?

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

You've pretty much covered it. You could do some whitening before hand, but the cement used to bond the brackets will cover most of it. Sometimes the cement also yellows a little bit or makes your teeth look yellowed so thats something to be aware of. I just made sure all of my fillings were in order and that I didn't need any other work that couldn't be done with my braces on. I plan to pursue some whitening post braces so that it's even and consistent.

Tyrantblade

#3 Post by Tyrantblade »

Other than making sure your smile is in order as best as realistically possible (just saying as you can only make sure you dont need anytthing done at the dentist and try to get your teeth as white and whatnot as possible) i would say if you have any favorite food you eat more than usual that you would hate not being able to eat for a prolonged amount of time try to eat it at least once before braces

Im saying this as I would typically eat pizza almost every day and knowing I probably won't be chewing anything for at least two weeks (if not much longer because of my. Extremely bad open bite and Bite turbos to stop myself from causing further havok on the back bottom teeth by them being the only ones my top teeth used to make contact with) is an extreme bummer

I didn't even expect to get braces put on when I did (it was a 3 o clock appointment, they close at 5, and I was done at almost 7pm) as I thought they might think it best for me to get something done before getting braces

But they offered for me to have them put on the same day they gave me a tour of the office, took pictures, explained how bad my bite was, had the orthodontist explain things further (gave me copies of a lot of paperwork from financial information to advice, FAQs, and terminology to pictures showing my before braces smile in different sections) did an X-ray CAT SCAN (they have some high tech 3d CAT SCAN machine where I go, meaning no awkward mouth full of stuff to do records/impressions) and then offered for me to get braces put on

So yeah if you find yourself craving something good to eat, eat it at least once before you find yourself unable to chew anything
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

Tyrantblade wrote:Other than making sure your smile is in order as best as realistically possible (just saying as you can only make sure you dont need anytthing done at the dentist and try to get your teeth as white and whatnot as possible) i would say if you have any favorite food you eat more than usual that you would hate not being able to eat for a prolonged amount of time try to eat it at least once before braces
Really good advice actually...since you're probably going to have a lot of initial soreness from the process starting (even though you'll be in fairly springy wires), you'll probably want to stick to a soft chew diet...so having a last meal of sorts with all your favorite stuff that you might not be able to chew for a few weeks is a really good idea. I think the one thing I miss most is popcorn. I wish I had eaten a ton of popcorn before I got my braces on...but it's probably a good thing I didn't (long story for another day).

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

Not so much in terms of dental preparation, but you may want to stock up on some basic supplies -- there have been many threads here on the subject, and check out dentakit.com (site sponsor) for some ideas. I think you can get the "Fish flossers" there that make flossing easier. I'd recommend a waterpik as well, dental wax, a travel toothbrush or 10 and travel size toothpaste so you can do oral hygiene on the road. I have used interdental brushes dipped in Listerine in lieu of flossing for the past 3 years with good results. Ibuprofen is great for dental discomfort, so lay in a supply, or the analgesic of choice. If you need a photo for professional use or as an avatar somewhere, get it done before the braces go on. The thing I hate the most about braces is the way I look in photographs when I smile. The camera is a heartless ***** (rhymes with ditch).
For a laugh or two, find the thread "Confess Your Orthodontic Sins" by Oldfart (you can search for it via his name). Some funny stuff there. Best of luck to you. The time will fly by. OK that was a lie but you'll do fine. Keep us posted.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Lala082008

#6 Post by Lala082008 »

I'm getting my braces next week and I'm working on whitening my teeth at home before then. I feel like my teeth are pretty yellow and so I feel like I'll be a bit more confident with the braces if they're not so yellow.