I think my braces are too low

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LaFawnsgrillz

I think my braces are too low

#1 Post by LaFawnsgrillz »

I am thinking about calling my doc and going in for her to check the placement of my bottom braces. For some reason the dental tech put on the first 6 of the bottom of my FastBraces. But the brackets are almost touching my gum line. It's weird, and it's frustrating. I have a 2 yr old and I don't always have someone to watch her while I go to the dentist. Bargh

teeebeee

Re: I think my braces are too low

#2 Post by teeebeee »

Conversely, I feel mine on my top teeth are too high! They are also near the gum line and I would've thought they'd need to be more central to push my teeth back and together but, obviously not cos they are moving!

If you're really concerned, definitely check with your dentist but, I reckon it's probably correct. I do wish I'd listened to the physics lessons about forces more carefully! :)

T xx

tartanhabit

#3 Post by tartanhabit »

Ask questions for sure! Positions do vary greatly depending what kind of movement is required of each tooth. Mine were positioned quite low on my teeth (opposite end of gum line) on my uppers. I asked at my next appointment.

LaFawn, did the orthodontist check the techs work before you left the appointment? The techs at my place seem to know as much as the ortho but I'd still want the ortho to either do the placement themselves or at least check the work.

lmk

#4 Post by lmk »

My brackets on my lower teeth are really close to the gums also and my teeth have straightened out beautifully. Im sure yours are fine, but you may want to double check with your ortho just to make sure.

LaFawnsgrillz

#5 Post by LaFawnsgrillz »

Well I have FastBraces so just a regular dentist does mine. Obviously certified on it. But no she did not come to check the techs work. I just for some reason thought it was work only the dentist would do. Also don't you get the wires changed often? All they did for my tops was chafe the rubber bands. I feel as if my wire isn't closing like it was. Kinda like it ran out of juice. I dunno. I kinda got the braces on a whim. Like I got a check up the dentist told me about how quickly they worked so I scheduled a consultation and had a number in my head of how much I was willing to pay and it was about that so I scheduled to get my braces the next week. All this happened inside a 2 week time frame so I didn't do any research like I normally do so I kinda feel in the dark. Even after having done research. I digress though. I'm going to call and see if the doc can look at my teeth

ItsFreyja

#6 Post by ItsFreyja »

Hi LaFawnsGrillz, congrats on getting braced. Most of the folks here are pretty obsessive about our braces journeys, so if you stick around you'll learn a lot!

It's perfectly normal to have an adjustment appointment where they leave the same wires and just change the O-rings. That just means they feel your current wires still have work to do. And although pain is progress, a lack of soreness/pressure doesn't necessarily mean your wires have stopped working.

It's not normal for the dentist/orthodontist not to review a technician's work before you leave. (It is normal for the tech to place your brackets on the wet globs of glue before the ortho comes and fine-tunes them and cures the glue with the blue light.) Definitely call and get your questions answered, and definitely insist to be seen by the dentist when you go in for your appointments. I had to bring my preschooler to my last adjustment so I was itching to get out of there, but I always make it a point to look in the mirror for what feels like a long time, to really check for poking things, and to get my questions answered before I leave.

ItsFreyja

#7 Post by ItsFreyja »

P.S. Actually, I believe the Fastbraces system uses only one wire throughout the entire treatment, so don't expect wire changes at your adjustment appointments.

sirwired

#8 Post by sirwired »

"But no she did not come to check the techs work."

Wow. I'm pretty sure (although an actual ortho should chime in) that it's not legal for the tech to place brackets unsupervised. (And even if it was, what dentist would want to trust their reputation with their technician?) My brackets were often placed by a tech, but the brackets were left just tacked in place until the ortho came and adjusted the position and he was the one always wielding the curing light. (FWIW, I just checked the first state I could find (CA), and it is NOT legal there for any non-dentist to bond brackets without the dentist verifying their position, but every state will have their own rules.)

It's entirely possible that this is the correct placement for you and that these teeth need to be extruded from your gums to get everything to line up properly. That said, I'm not a fan of General-Dentist braces in general, and "systems" specifically sold to general dentists in particular. For a dentist to be "certified" for FastBraces (and several other "systems") all that is generally needed is a course over a long weekend in a hotel ballroom, which supplements whatever minimal orthodontic training they received in dental school.

Actual board-certified orthodontists undergo several YEARS worth of study and supervised practice before being unleashed on patients.

If you had come here before treatment, you would have been encouraged to at least consult with a board-certified ortho (see my "sticky" on avoiding malpractice.) But with them already on your teeth? I'm not sure what to tell you; you'll recover little, if any, money by discontinuing treatment at this stage (unless the dentist receives prodding from their regulatory board.) But if the work is not done properly, you may end up having to pay even MORE to an actual ortho to fix the problem down the road.

I think your best bet is to call your dentist tomorrow and make an appointment to talk, in person, about your concerns with the placement of the brackets. I wouldn't accuse him/her of anything, request a refund, or mention the dubious legality of this. (Although if you make the decision to discontinue treatment, and you have verified that it is not legal in your state for a tech to bond brackets unsupervised, I would totally file a complaint with the dental licensure board. Both the dentist and tech would face disciplinary action for violating scope-of-practice rules.)

LaFawnsgrillz

#9 Post by LaFawnsgrillz »

I did go and have the doc check, she said everything was good, my teeth are tipped back and small so it is probably why I thought it was too low. The COA was the one that but my brackets on, I did check on the Hawaii State board and you are correct in the fact COA's cannot place brakets. How do I brooch the subject though? I feel fine with my choice to get FastBraces, Im using it mostly for cosmetic straightening,hoping maybe my tmj might be relived a little, though I not that is not likely. My dentist is on vacation for the next 2 weeks though.

sirwired

#10 Post by sirwired »

Keeping in mind that I am not, in any way, a dentist, but I'm surprised a general dentist would have felt comfortable applying braces (of any sort) to a TMJ patient... TMJ can be complicated as it is, and improperly done braces can make it worse.

I'm not quite sure what you should do; if I was in your place, I would consult with a board-certified orthodontist and see what they think. It may turn out that the TMJ does not make the FastBraces non-viable; I honestly don't know. You probably want to request your x-rays (especially your panorex, and cephalograms, if they took some) from the dentist currently treating you (no need to tell them why) before the consult. The consult may be awkward; I think medical providers in general are uncomfortable critiquing the work on somebody else's patient.

If the ortho recommends you discontinue treatment and you are satisfied with their explanation as to why, then I would do so. (Feel free to consult with more than one ortho before taking this drastic step.) It'll be up to you on if you request a refund or not.

I'm not sure what you should do about the non-dentist bonding your brackets. Reporting this clear violation of the scope-of-practice laws almost certainly will result in formal disciplinary action. (I doubt anybody's going to lose their license over it, but there will likely, at the least, be a note in the record of both the dentist and tech about it.)