Bonded PLUS Removable Retainer?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jjones

Bonded PLUS Removable Retainer?

#1 Post by jjones »

I have heard people getting both, what do you guys think? I want bonded for sure, would it be a good idea to get the others as well to be safe?

sirwired

Re: Bonded PLUS Removable Retainer?

#2 Post by sirwired »

This is a question for your orthodontist; every case has different retention needs.

msw

#3 Post by msw »

I got a lower bonded retainer going from canine to canine. Unfortunately, this wasn't sufficient to keep my back teeth from moving, and a gap opened up between my first and second molars about a month after my lower braces were removed. Then another gap opened. Long story short - 2.5 months after debracing, and I've got several brackets, a button, and power chain to close the gaps that never would have opened if I had had a Hawley or Essix retainer to begin with. Once the gaps are closed and I'm FINALLY braces free, I'll have both a bonded and removable retainer. Every case is different though, so definitely talk to your ortho.

jem

#4 Post by jem »

I have both. I only wear the Hawley at night and will do so indefinitely. My teeth have not moved in the 2 years since my brace was removed and i am very happy with my retention regime.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

teeebeee

#5 Post by teeebeee »

I will have both when the time comes, apparently. A bonded retainer across the back of my top front teeth and a removable retainer, too. So long as they keep the little buggers in check, i'm fine with it! :)

T xx