What are these wires coming from my molar bands?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

leelou905

What are these wires coming from my molar bands?

#1 Post by leelou905 »

Someone please tell me what these little criss cross wires are that are attached to my molar bands? These little suckers hurt when I rub my tongue over them, they kind of pinch the skin on my tongue and it hurts :shock:
I hope you can see the picture!

26 years - Needed braces since forever - very severely overcrowded teeth - now missing both my lateral incisors - laterlizing the canines - started braces treatment 22nd July 2015 - metal braces silver ligs - from UK Nottingham - Robin Hood lives here :)

EWUgal15

Re: What are these wires coming from my molar bands?

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

I don't see a picture, but my guess would be that you might have steel ties. Molar bands usually have a bracket or tube on the outside of them that the arch wire goes into. If its a bracket, it might have a wire tie around the wire in the bracket for better engagement or to correct rotation.

leelou905

#3 Post by leelou905 »

Oh really? The picture shows up my end.

Yes it does have a bracket on the outside, the wires kind of interwind with each other, which makes for trapping skin very easy and painful!

I have put up a link instead hopefully that works? http://s15.postimg.org/uzj9ev1or/image.jpg
26 years - Needed braces since forever - very severely overcrowded teeth - now missing both my lateral incisors - laterlizing the canines - started braces treatment 22nd July 2015 - metal braces silver ligs - from UK Nottingham - Robin Hood lives here :)

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

It could be my work machine blocking the picture. I wouldn't be surprised about that. Pulled it up on my phone and could see it just fine...those look like wire ties to me. Some people prefer them to the rubber ligatures, I'm like you. I hate them. They don't stain, which is a perk. And they engage the wire in the bracket better. I've had them before to correct rotation and currently I have two steel ties to keep teeth from tipping into extraction gaps that we're working to close up. I've never had them stretch across the brackets like you have though. When in doubt, ask your orthodontist. And don't be afraid of wax. It tastes pretty terrible sometimes and you're likely to swallow it on occasion, but it will help keep you from getting torn up too bad.

dantocanada

#5 Post by dantocanada »

Yup, I had those. They aren't wire ties, but some sort of additional tension. I know this because I had them at the same time as I had wire ties. I think they are just using all forces available to keep your teeth together. I even had that below a power chain and with wire ties. That was fun!

dantocanada

#6 Post by dantocanada »

Oh, I just noticed the gap. Yup, they are trying to pull your teeth together.

teeebeee

#7 Post by teeebeee »

It's posts like this that make me really wish I'd listened to the lessons about forces in physics at school! :wink:

T xx

leelou905

#8 Post by leelou905 »

Haha thanks guys, they're pretty nasty when they catch your tongue in those little gaps! I've refrained from licking it any further :D