Teeth never feel clean enough

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kelly88

Teeth never feel clean enough

#1 Post by kelly88 »

Does anyone else feel like their teeth never feel clean?

I do. I'm stressing about it. I feel like I'm going to end up being that nightmare patient with yucky teeth who my orthodontist takes a picture of to tell others not to do the same.

I feel like there's always stuff stuck in my teeth. I think it's just because of the braces. Having them on my teeth makes me feel like my teeth aren't clean.

I think I'm doing an OK job at cleaning my teeth. I've only had my braces three weeks though. I floss once a day. I brush with my electric toothbrush three times a day. Twice a day I brush all round the brackets, under the wires with a proxy brush. I've just got myself a Waterpik so I plan on using that twice/ three (if I'm home) times daily too. Oh and mouthwash with flouride twice a day.

Is it enough though?

Sounds crazy but I sometimes panic if I don't brush soon enough after eating, I feel like I can literally feel my teeth rotting :lol:

Do these worries go away?

I basically just need someone to tell me that my teeth aren't going to fall out. I've cut out sugar. I don't drink fizzy drinks. I drink anything that isn't water with a straw. I don't eat sweets, cakes, cookies. Alcoholic drinks I'm drinking with straws. I'm trying my best! Feel like my dentist/orthodontist are going to be horrified at me though :lol:

ItsFreyja

Re: Teeth never feel clean enough

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

Here: Your teeth aren't going to fall out. :D

Brushing three times a day and flossing daily is just what my ortho recommended, so it sounds to me like you're doing everything right. I'm sure your ortho can reassure you that your hygiene is great at your next adjustment.

I can certainly relate to the icky-teeth feeling though! I hope it gets better as our brains get more used to the braces?

kelly88

#3 Post by kelly88 »

Oh I hope so! I think it may be the pressure from the braces that makes it feel like there's stuff in my teeth all the time, no idea! I always feel like I need to brush my teeth again right after brushing them.

These things are a worry :lol:

autumn9285

#4 Post by autumn9285 »

I always feel the same way but I'm brushing at least 3 times daily, using mouthwash and flossing every night so I'm sure they aren't as dirty as we probably think they are . ..the fact that these braces seem to make my teeth look yellow doesn't really help though lol

metalliKa

#5 Post by metalliKa »

I feel the same! Although I think I do a pretty good job at maintaining my braces and teeth, at my first adjustment, I cringed when I asked to see the wire...it had a little of gunk stuck on it. However, the assistant assured me that mine was not nearly as bad as some she had seen.

:-} and you won't get :GapToothed:
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

kelly88

#6 Post by kelly88 »

Haha I keep imagining I can see plaque and nasties on my teeth but then realise it's the shadows from the wires.

Oh I'm going to be so worried at my first appointment. I feel like she's going to take the wire out and it's going to be covered in plaque.

To ease my anxiety I've done an epic 30 minute clean this evening (with my new Waterpik <3) and my teeth feel amazing. If I do this before my first adjustment and my orthodontist finds plaque then I give up :lol:

kelly88

#7 Post by kelly88 »

My fiance told me last night while I was brushing my teeth that he thinks I must have the most spectacular collection of toothbrushes and tooth cleaning implements in our area, that other people with braces would be jealous :lol: I'll take that as a compliment!

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

You sure seem to be doing it right! I think you get more accustomed to the braces and increase your tolerance for debris over time. Crest makes a hydrogen peroxide-based mouthwash that really takes off any remaining crud / film after waterpik / brushing, and so forth but I doubt that even molecules of food debris could withstand your regimen! Keep up the good work.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Felina Grimm

#9 Post by Felina Grimm »

I feel the same way you do, and it doesn't help that my teeth stain so easy despite the measures I've taken.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

teeebeee

#10 Post by teeebeee »

kelly88 wrote:My fiance told me last night while I was brushing my teeth that he thinks I must have the most spectacular collection of toothbrushes and tooth cleaning implements in our area, that other people with braces would be jealous :lol: I'll take that as a compliment!
I have never had so much gear for teethcleaning in my life...it never ceases to amaze me, all lined up on the bathroom sink! :shock:

OP, don't worry too much about your regime...I just check with the dentist every time that my cleanliness is ok and he always seems surprised I ask and assures me it's very good. Mind you, when they change the wire, there is always a bit of a niff (not to put too fine a point on it!) from, presumably, a bit I've missed but no one seems to worry but me when that happens! :oops:

I usually think my teeth feel the cleanest they've ever been, tbh! I do sluice a LOT with water, though, as that's what I drink and I think that catches a lot of bits. Other than that, I just waterpik and brush twice a day.

Enjoy your journey and try not to worry too much! :D

Txx

NeilH

#11 Post by NeilH »

When I first got braces it became a household joke as teeth cleaning would take an awfully long time and involve every implement ever known to grace my pharmacists shelf. Over time it got quicker and my overall oral health improved and now I feel confident that when the braces come off, lessons learned over the last couple of years will become a habit for the future. My best purchase was a sonic toothbrush that does a great job in keeping everything clean and although it was expensive, was worth every penny.

The small interdental brushes have also been great and I always carry one with me. They are also good for measuring gaps closing and having to buy a new size is positive reinforcement that progress is being made.

Good luck.

djspeece

#12 Post by djspeece »

teeebeee wrote:
kelly88 wrote:My fiance told me last night while I was brushing my teeth that he thinks I must have the most spectacular collection of toothbrushes and tooth cleaning implements in our area, that other people with braces would be jealous :lol: I'll take that as a compliment!
I have never had so much gear for teethcleaning in my life...it never ceases to amaze me, all lined up on the bathroom sink! :shock:

OP, don't worry too much about your regime...I just check with the dentist every time that my cleanliness is ok and he always seems surprised I ask and assures me it's very good. Mind you, when they change the wire, there is always a bit of a niff (not to put too fine a point on it!) from, presumably, a bit I've missed but no one seems to worry but me when that happens! :oops:

I usually think my teeth feel the cleanest they've ever been, tbh! I do sluice a LOT with water, though, as that's what I drink and I think that catches a lot of bits. Other than that, I just waterpik and brush twice a day.

Enjoy your journey and try not to worry too much! :D

Txx
That's really pretty funny. I quickly filled all available storage in my bathroom with dental-related implements and supplies featuring of course a waterpik, various sizes, styles, and brands of interdental brushes, mouthwash(es), rinses of various types, three types of toothpaste (regular, sensitive, high fluoride (by prescription), tongue brushes, dental mirror, and so forth. I could probably see patients in there if I were trained as a hygienist. I even had to find auxiliary storage in a walk-in closet for my supply of elastics (I have like 10 bags in reserve), extra toothbrushes (manual and for my oral-B), and so forth neatly (compulsively?) arranged in two large clear plastic divided trays that I got at the Container Store. Oh yeah, I have issues. Ask Kipepeo.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

mrscetrone

#13 Post by mrscetrone »

I brush 3 times a day and floss once a day. I never feel like mine are clean enough either and they are so stained and dirty looking anyway despite all the times I brush. :|

leelou905

#14 Post by leelou905 »

I feel EXACTLY the same way!

I brush three times a day, I waterpik three times a day, I have just ran out of floss! but would normally do that once a day too.

Right now I have spacers and braces in, and I can't floss where my spacers are, they feel absolutely gross! I hate the feel of fluffy teeth :shock:

But what more can you do? you are literally doing everything you can with every type of tool it seems so I think you'll be ok. And your diet seems pretty good too :)
26 years - Needed braces since forever - very severely overcrowded teeth - now missing both my lateral incisors - laterlizing the canines - started braces treatment 22nd July 2015 - metal braces silver ligs - from UK Nottingham - Robin Hood lives here :)

currystained

#15 Post by currystained »

Oh yes, I can totally identify! It was a running joke on a recent holiday with friends that I'd be in the bathroom for 20 mins after a piece of toast. I was, and felt no shame!

Like PP's have said the peroxide mouthwash is great, as is rinsing with water wherever and whenever; I've stopped taking the water flosser out with me now..... I've also graduated from very crowded teeth to massive gaps (for the time being!) inn a very short space of time so varying interdental pick sizes is a good idea.