Adults With metal braces - are you happy with your choice?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Handsdown

Adults With metal braces - are you happy with your choice?

#1 Post by Handsdown »

What made you choose metal over ceramic? And are you happy with your choice? Ever wish you had gone with the ceramic? I'm trying to choose between the two, metal are a lot cheaper and apparently will work a little quicker but I'm still undecided...

mrscetrone

Re: Adults With metal braces - are you happy with your choice?

#2 Post by mrscetrone »

I was originally going to do the ceramic up top but when I thought about the difference in cost and the fact i drink red wine and coffee a lot I decided to change to metal on top and bottom.

teeebeee

#3 Post by teeebeee »

I have ceramic and am happy with them but, oh boy, if I was starting again I'd go completely gangsta and have all the colours of the rainbow! I'm dead proud of having braces now and would happily show the world! However, if you want a bit of subtlety then ceramic is the way to go.

T xx

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

I don't know if there is a price difference with my orthodontist when it comes to ceramic or metal brackets. When I went in to have the hardware installed, they asked me if I wanted silver or gold brackets. I wasn't expecting that, so I went with silver. And I love them! I get to pick different colored ligatures and/or powerchains at every adjustment and that makes me feel so much better about having them. That's probably my favorite part.

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

I picked metal because my ortho was more confident of their ability to stand up to the rigors of surgery. (And I think he also anticipated there would be a repositioning or two, which is a lot easier with metal.)

NeilH

#6 Post by NeilH »

I'm absolutely delighted with mine and after two years, still do not regret the decision. I considered ceramic brackets but didn't go for them for a number of reasons. From a purely treatment point of view, I couldn't see any clinical advantage so it was then just down to cosmetics. Clear brackets look great on some people but on others, they don't look so good and I felt I would be in the latter. The elastics stain quite quickly and clear brackets make it more noticeable which would draw attention to your teeth in a less favourable way. At my ortho practice, the nurses undergoing treatment with clear brackets have their elastics changed weekly which is great but as a patient, waiting two to three months between appointments is a very long time. Although clear brackets are less noticeable, arch wires, elastics and most other accessories applied during treatment are not which further reduced the appeal. Finally, I was really proud to be doing something about my teeth and didn't feel the need to hide undertaking ortho work. I like the metal brackets and enjoy experimenting with coloured elastics as others have commented.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who would argue that ceramic is the way to go but it all comes down to personal choice. Good luck with your decision.

WiredWeaver

#7 Post by WiredWeaver »

My orthodontist asked if I wanted any particular kind of braces and was prepared to discuss them with me, but I'd decided right off the bat to go with traditional metal braces. Cost was a factor in my decision and I was comfortable with people knowing/seeing I had them. He was respectful of my decision and told me they're still the best to work with. His preference for metal braces made me feel more comfortable with my choice. On the day, though I didn't realize it was self ligating braces that I was getting, that's what he put on and I really love them. They're pretty small and I don't think I've experienced the pain that others have, but I'm not sure if that's attributed to the braces.

All in all, I have no regrets with my decision.

ItsFreyja

#8 Post by ItsFreyja »

I got metal braces several weeks ago. My ortho prefers metal braces over ceramic for tricky tooth movements and I felt like (from reading on Archwired, thanks guys!) I would be able to ask for more fine-tuning since they're much easier to debond and reposition.

I don't regret my choice, but I still don't like looking at my mouthful of metal, and I don't plan to go crazy with colorful ligatures. Getting braces as an adult is a good exercise in Not Caring What People Think, and I'm not convinced that ceramic braces would have allowed me to avoid that exercise.

ortho74

#9 Post by ortho74 »

I've had clear before, but chose all metal for a new treatment starting a month ago. Besides the staining of the clear, I didn't like how they rubbed and felt against the cheeks compared to metal. Especially the hooks on the ceramic brackets, those things are large and sharp compared to the metal. Plus I'm hoping the fine positioning will be better or easier for my ortho.

deathorglory

#10 Post by deathorglory »

I was given the option for ceramic at $750 extra per arch. Also, I drink a good amount of coffee and don't really care what other people think of me (this is something I'm doing to better MYSELF, after all), so it was metal braces for me! Also, if it's true that they work faster, then at least I'll have them for less time than if I had gotten ceramic. ...and an extra $1500 in my pocket to keep my company ;)
Braces on March 7th, 2014
Lower Jaw Surgery (BSSO) March 30th, 2015

newbite

#11 Post by newbite »

I have metal self-ligating brackets except for the top "social six" are clear (I think it might actually be 8, though). I haven't had any problems with either the metal or the clear. I don't find the clear to be any less comfortable than the metal. I've had both kinds of brackets repositioned during treatment with no issues. Now that I'm at the finishing stage they told me they can't push it too fast on the top (with making bends in the finishing wire) for fear of breaking one of the clear brackets, but that hasn't been an issue before now.

I will say I am very very glad I didn't get all metal. I seriously considered it for awhile, for fear of breakage/staining, etc. but, like I said, no breakage or staining so far!

These few clear brackets make a huge difference in appearance! Most people don't notice my braces. They would have been very noticeable, I think, if I had all metal. I don't care what people think, but I'm in a university setting and I didn't want to be known primarily for my metal braces.
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

Felina Grimm

#12 Post by Felina Grimm »

I'm happy. I don't care if mine are visible. Plus, I have fun with the colors. My teeth stain quite easily, so clear ones wouldn't have been ideal for me if I wanted them. My face is already full of metal as I have multiple Piercings so having more metal definitely wasn't an issue for me. :-P
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Bracesat57

#13 Post by Bracesat57 »

It really is such a personal choice as to go with metal or clear. There isn't right or wrong decision. I went with all ceramic. They are bigger but less visible. I wanted something more discreet. I was so so nervous just going into the orthodontist office just for a consult. I kept telling myself to turn around and run. My age and getting braces!

My orthodontist lets his clear radiance patients come in whenever they want the ligs refreshened. I went in before family events and vacations. Now I have opted for the silver color ligs which are just about the same as the clear ones but do not stain.

Good luck with your choice! I am sure you will be pleased with whichever one you decide on.

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

LillyS

#14 Post by LillyS »

I had to have metal due to having surgery, I was a bit apprehensive beforehand but I'm pretty happy with them. They aren't massive and in your face and no ones said anything mean about them or in fact anything much at all. My thoughts are they're there for a purpose and its not forever :D

kelly88

#15 Post by kelly88 »

I'm going with metal (getting them on on Wednesday). I haven't been bothered about people knowing I have braces, I'm quite excited about colours and making them fun. The fact that they're cheaper will be a bonus too. I don't think I will regret my choice (well, I hope not anyway!)