Does everyone get elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Featheryy1221

Does everyone get elastics?

#1 Post by Featheryy1221 »

This is probably a dumb question, but I was told at my last appointment that I'm going to get my braces off soon very here (potentially even next time I go, if everything looks good), and yet I haven't had to go through elastics. At all.

I'm definitely not complaining; they sound horrible. I'm just curious if not having to wear elastics happens a decent amount? Or if that's rare?

I went into all this with a Class I bite, so I never had any overbite or underbite issues. I had a pretty bad crossbite, but it was completely corrected with expansion. I just thought for sure I'd get elastics anyway. Haha.

Any thoughts? :)

I know it depends on the case, it's just everyone I know had elastics at some point so it's just interesting to me that I didn't. :)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Leeshlund

Re: Does everyone get elastics?

#2 Post by Leeshlund »

I googled this after I read your post... Turns out they are not always required there's a wealth of information about it online so I won't bore you with the logistics but the short answer is not always necessary;););)

Leeshlund

#3 Post by Leeshlund »

BTW: there are no dumb questions!! :HugeGrin:

Featheryy1221

#4 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Leeshlund wrote:I googled this after I read your post... Turns out they are not always required there's a wealth of information about it online so I won't bore you with the logistics but the short answer is not always necessary;););)
Thanks. :) Whenever I googled it there were so many posts like, "do I have to wear my elastics," (Obviously, yes you have to wear them if they give you them. Lol) and there wasn't anything I could find on it/I haven't met anyone that hasn't had them.

teeebeee

#5 Post by teeebeee »

tbh, I'm a bit hazy as to exactly what elastics are in this context...it seems they are something people put on for themselves. In that case, I don't have them. I just have the wire and whatever the dentist himself attaches...I have enough trouble with that! lol...

T xx

EWUgal15

#6 Post by EWUgal15 »

Elastics are something the patient is in full control of. Failing to comply with prescribed elastics can often lead to extended treatment times. Take a look here: http://www.archwired.com/Elastics1.htm

Featheryy1221

#7 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Yeah, elastics are the rubber bands that people attach to hooks to correct their bite/midline/move teeth or whatever else they do. Haha.
You'll see people with them in a lot, sometimes even in the beginning of treatment.

I just haven't gotten any hooked brackets placed or rubber bands during my treatment.

EWUgal15

#8 Post by EWUgal15 »

Featheryy1221 wrote:Yeah, elastics are the rubber bands that people attach to hooks to correct their bite/midline/move teeth or whatever else they do. Haha.
You'll see people with them in a lot, sometimes even in the beginning of treatment.

I just haven't gotten any hooked brackets placed or rubber bands during my treatment.
I think that's exciting! You don't have any additional steps to take when eating or cleaning. To me, that also means that you don't have to worry about possibly extending your sentence if you aren't compliant with the prescribed elastics.

teeebeee

#9 Post by teeebeee »

I'm glad I don't have them...the pressure to get it right would probably kill me! :lol:

T xx