Anyone finishing earlier because of acceledent?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tartanhabit

Anyone finishing earlier because of acceledent?

#1 Post by tartanhabit »

Hi

I've searched these forums and see there's some discussion already so I guess I'm just looking for updates - I was surprised there wasn't more discussion though.

Anyone using acceledent and feel they are ahead of schedule? Or not?

Thanks. About to make the decision to throw that extra $900 into my treatment plan.

newbite

Re: Anyone finishing earlier because of acceledent?

#2 Post by newbite »

I've been in braces and using Acceledent for 9 months. I'm already in finishing wires even though my teeth were very crooked and crowded. I also no longer have an underbite or crossbite. You can see my progress photos at the link on my signature.

Acceledent was totally worth it for me. I only paid $500 for it, though, $900 seems a little steep to me (although I've heard of people paying more than $1000). You'll have to weigh the cost vs benefits for yourself.

It definitely seems like my teeth moved significantly faster than they would have otherwise. I had an appointment with wire change every month and went up a wire size pretty much every month (I went through almost every wire, they said, since they wanted to not push too fast and flare my teeth).

I don't know how much it helped with the pain since I still definitely had pain but it was (is) always bearable. The Acceledent does make aching teeth feel better during use but that fades after a few minutes.

I'm having gum surgery next month so it's going to delay my debanding, but they said I should have them off between Sept and Dec--- so about 13-16 months (right on target) compared to the 20-24 month estimate I had if I weren't using Acceledent. totally worth $500 to me. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth it, there are no guarantees of course just a really good chance it will significantly speed up your treatment.

Also, one more thing to think about--- make sure you are going to use it every single day for twenty minutes. You can't take a shower or talk or eat or be in public (well you can but you might have people stare at you!). Seems obvious but it is such a pain to fit in when you have a million things to do. I was really good with it for about six months and then i started to get really busy and found myself going a day, or two, or three, or four without using it. Thankfully I had that first six months of daily use otherwise I wouldn't have as good results. Make sure you can commit to every single day for twenty minutes--- no matter what's going on in your life--or you're wasting your money.

Good luck!
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

tartanhabit

#3 Post by tartanhabit »

Thanks so much newbite. That was really helpful and I just had a look at your braces story. Wow, so much progress in such a short time. I couldn't see the pictures for some reason- I still don't have all the permissions around here but it was interesting that you had so many of the same concerns as me at the beginning before your appointment. I'm in denial land at this moment; this is not really happening. I've ordered a bunch of braces related things online and they keep arriving and I can't bear to open the boxes yet and see all this braces related stuff (like wax etc).

Wonder why the acceledent is so expensive compared to your $500. My ortho told me they sell it at cost. Hmm. I think I'm going to go for it.

newbite

#4 Post by newbite »

My ortho gets a special deal because he's been using them since they came out and a large % of his patients end up getting one. He promotes them at conferences and stuff, too. He's really a believer in them.

It's a funny situation because it's impossible to know what would have happened if I had not used the Acceledent. Would my teeth have moved as fast? Would it have hurt more? No way to know. I do know that my adjustments would have been every two months instead of every month, so unless they skipped wire sizes I would have been far behind where I am now.

If you can afford it and will use it every single day then I definitely recommend it!
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

Mon

#5 Post by Mon »

Hey newbite- if you are wrapping up with Acceledent, can I buy yours? This goes for anyone who has one that is in good condition and looking to recoup some of the cost of their new one. Thanks in advance for any info or interest.

newbite

#6 Post by newbite »

Apparently Acceledent only lasts for a certain number of full 20 min uses (I think ~10months of daily use?) and then it's programmed to stop working. I think you can still use it for the short 10min sessions, but I'm not sure how quickly back-to-back you can do them.

So, I would advise against buying a second hand unit unless you know the person has only used it a few times.

jfriend33

#7 Post by jfriend33 »

wonder how well these things work for molar intrusion?

brissy

#8 Post by brissy »

Wow $500 for Acceledent? I'm thinking of getting one but got told it's $1,500.

d1977

#9 Post by d1977 »

I bought mine here in Calgary, alberta, canada for 1000.00
Has it helped ? yes !!! I was put on a 20 tray invisalign and it shortened my treatment by half. A new tray every 8 days.
If your looking for one, drop me a pm.

d1977

#10 Post by d1977 »

duhrynchuk@hotmail.com
if your looking for an acceledent. Will send courier from Calgary

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

Just wanted to let you guys know that you will not be able to buy Acceledent in any retail stores or websites because of the FDA classification of the item. It can only be provided through dentist's offices per FDA regulations. I got this information directly from the Acceledent company when I was at the annual conference/trade show for the American Assoc of Orthodontists (AAO) in May.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Dureena

#12 Post by Dureena »

Had a look for this appliance in the United Kingdom and there only seems to be one dental practice anywhere near me prescribing it and they don't seem to have a good reputation.