Detailing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dantocanada

Detailing

#1 Post by dantocanada »

I'm supposed to get my braces off on July 16th, which means only six more weeks remain in my treatment. During this time, I am scheduled for 2 more adjustments. Did anyone else notice that the final phase of treatment is a lot more painful than any other stage? They call this "detailing" where they are fine tuning any minor issues. I had an adjustment on Monday where my Ortho tied a wire around my two upper front teeth and pulled really hard to physically bring them together. I came close to tears. In addition to that, wire tied each bracket to the archwire. It's two days later, and I'm still taking Tylenol. Up until now, I've rarely felt such pain in only a few teeth...I can't even think of using my front teeth for chewing. Is this what I have to look forward to for the next two adjustments?

Candyland

Re: Detailing

#2 Post by Candyland »

I just started my finishing stage last week and it was the worst pain I've had throughout my treatment. I wasn't even able to sleep the first night for the pain. Thankfully after 5 days I'm feeling a lot better and my teeth aren't sore all the time, just when I'm eating.

newbite

#3 Post by newbite »

That sounds delightful (not!). I just got my finishing wires and they haven't hurt too much so far but they also didn't do any crazy wire tying or anything yet.

I don't know though, if the detailing hurts more than when the rectangular wires were prying my front teeth straight, I don't know how I'll manage! That was really rough.

Almost done!!! Good luck!! :tingrin:
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Try ibuprofen... It's better suited to the inflammatory pain of braces.

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

Dang, something else to look forward to...not.
Congrats on your pending debracing! You're in the home stretch now.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

dantocanada

#6 Post by dantocanada »

Sirwired, unfortunately I am forbidden from using Advil as it is a no-no with the WIlckodontics procedure. Apparently it has the ability to inhibit the natural reaction and slow things down. Although my rapid movement period is likely over, my Ortho told me not to take a chance. Luckily I have some Tylenol 3's leftover from my surgery, so they work better than the regular extra-strength stuff.

Asherr

#7 Post by Asherr »

I hope that there'll be progress during my last few months like this. I'm expected to get them off in May and I'm worried there's too much left to do.