Second round in braces...disappointed with how they look?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FinallyBracesFree

Second round in braces...disappointed with how they look?

#1 Post by FinallyBracesFree »

This is my second time in braces and I'm very frustrated. They just aren't looking as good as they looked before. I don't know what has caused this but there is a HUGE gap in between my lateral incisor and canine tooth on the right side. I have pointed it out to my ortho several times and he keeps saying it's just the shape of the tooth and I can get bonding there. I keep trying to tell him it wasn't there before but he thinks I just didn't notice it and that it's just the shape of the tooth. It's not the shape of the tooth. I inspect my teeth constantly. It wasn't there before. I don't know what to do. I've always had slight gaps at the bottom of my teeth which he says are the shape of the teeth and I've made it clear I don't like those. So when I point this out, he's thinking that's how it always was when it wasn't. I don't know what's causing this. He's having me wear a rubber band on one side to pull back the bite so maybe that's doing it. I don't know but I'm really disappointed in how they're looking.

Here's a picture of how they looked when the braces were off before. Not right away but a few months afterwards. Not huge gap there.

Here's how they look now. Huge gap there but he's saying it's just the shape of the tooth when it wasn't there before. It always feels very weird when I bite down there. It feels like there's a hole there.

Snowglobe32

Re: Second round in braces...disappointed with how they look?

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

What is the time line from first braces to second set?

How long have the 2nd set of braces been on?

I'm thinking sometimes as the teeth move, they create gaps and things become more noticeable. Before I had braces, because my teeth weren't perfect, it looked like I had a few pointy teeth but once they aligned properly, they didn't look like that anymore.

I wouldn't worry, it will all be fine once you are done. I had many gaps open and close while I was braced, sometimes the same teeth, sometimes new teeth. It is all a part of the process.

FinallyBracesFree

Re: Second round in braces...disappointed with how they look?

#3 Post by FinallyBracesFree »

I got my first braces about 3 years ago. I wore them for a year and a half. I had them off for a year and then put back on. I got them back on in December/January.

That makes sense. The problem is I'm almost done with treatment. We're fine tuning right now so I should only be in braces for another two months or so. And my ortho doesn't act like the space will close. He just keeps saying it's the shape of the tooth.