Bite Block

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TXBRACES

Bite Block

#1 Post by TXBRACES »

Greetings! I just got my Empower Self-Ligating braces put on 3 weeks ago. I had a deep bite so they put a bite block in (two small bumps bonded to my upper teeth so I cannot close my teeth all the way) . If you had to have the bit block would you please share how long you had to have in it? It's driving me crazy and I'm just trying to gauge how long I might need them. Thanks in advance!!!!

ItsFreyja

Re: Bite Block

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

Welcome and good luck with your braces! I have bite blocks applied to my first molars for the same reason, and I can see how having them on the front teeth would be even worse, so you have my sympathy. I don't expect the initial leveling and alignment archwires to open up my bite enough to have the blocks off any time soon -- that won't happen until I get a reverse-curve wire and elastics. Hang in there!

millersgirl

#3 Post by millersgirl »

I have them on my last molars on the bottom. I've had them since I got the braces....so nearly 17 months. There's been no mention of removing them.

TXBRACES

#4 Post by TXBRACES »

[quote="millersgirl"]I have them on my last molars on the bottom. I've had them since I got the braces....so nearly 17 months. There's been no mention of removing them.[/quote]

WOW, 17 months....really? I was hoping it was a little more temporary than that! The orthodontist mentioned it was just until my bite opened a little bit. My treatment is only supposed to be 12 months and the braces don't bother me, it's this block. I cannot eat at all! How do you eat with them?????

TXBRACES

#5 Post by TXBRACES »

[quote="ItsFreyja"]Welcome and good luck with your braces! I have bite blocks applied to my first molars for the same reason, and I can see how having them on the front teeth would be even worse, so you have my sympathy. I don't expect the initial leveling and alignment archwires to open up my bite enough to have the blocks off any time soon -- that won't happen until I get a reverse-curve wire and elastics. Hang in there![/quote]

Thanks, how long have you had your bite block on?

ItsFreyja

#6 Post by ItsFreyja »

All of two weeks... with several more months to go.

Siobhan

#7 Post by Siobhan »

I had the bites on the back of my teeth for about six months. They did help my bite open up. You will get used to them and it gets easier. You'll also be really happy when they come off.

daveq

#8 Post by daveq »

I had them for the first 4 months. I was really happy when they were removed. It was terrible for the first month or so. I couldn't chew anything solid and lived on soup and yogurt! Of course it gradually improved. They are a necessary evil.

JexieMay

#9 Post by JexieMay »

I had mine for about 2 weeks until I grinded them off in my sleep.. never had them put back in thankfully lol they were horrible

UnevenJAG

#10 Post by UnevenJAG »

My ortho surprised me with bite blocks to be put on at my next appointment a few weeks ago, just sprung it on me! My exposed canine is coming down and close to being in place the bite blocks need to be put in to stop the bottom canine getting in the way and hitting the new top canine from getting in its correct position.

My concern is will it affect how I speak in any way, my job is in a call centre :/

I have no idea how long the blocks will be in place for either.... Not particularly looking forward to my next appointment
**Uppers Braced 18/07/2014**
**Bottoms Braced 17/09/2015**
Double Jaw surgery 11th Jan 2017
Blog - http://jacintasjawsurgery.com

kelly88

#11 Post by kelly88 »

I believe I'm going to be getting bite blocks. My orthodontist hasn't said I am but I'm getting both upper and lower braces on at the same time and have a really deep overbite so I'm guessing I will need some kind of bite block to stop me biting my bottom brackets off? If I am getting them then it's not something I'm looking forward to. How difficult is it to eat with them?

ItsFreyja

#12 Post by ItsFreyja »

kelly88, it totally depends. I have the blobs of glue on my upper molars, and I've found eating to be easier than I was expecting. But it's definitely challenging.

lorsa

#13 Post by lorsa »

AAGH!! BITE BLOCKERS!!

I've had them on the backs of my two upper front teeth since day one (12 months ago) and I expect I will probably have them for another 3-6 months. You can't bite into anything with your front teeth - you have to either use a knife and fork to cut your food into small pieces or tear it into small pieces before you put it into your mouth.

Be careful while sleeping: In the first month I broke one or both of them off on 3 different occasions because my lower teeth rested against them when my mouth was closed, and it always woke me up with a horrible fear I had somehow broken a tooth. (I now have some small chips in the bottom edge of one of my top front teeth from it hitting the bracket on the tooth below it when the blocker broke off. I'll have to have that fixed after debracing.) After the third time, I ordered a set of bite wafers from dentakit and started sleeping with one of them in place - it gave my upper and lower teeth something firm but pliable to rest against so I could sleep without apprehension. I'm on my third wafer now - I get a few month's wear out of each one. I have to trim each wafer a bit to get it the right shape for me, but they have worked like a charm. I am almost at the point where I don't need them anymore...but not quite.

Oh, and the absolute worst thing for me is that I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES I have "bitten" my tongue between the blockers and my lower teeth while talking! OUCH!

But, as I've said on this forum before, even though I *hate* the bite blocks, I do respect them, because they are doing their job. My bite has been steadily changing and correcting over the past year, and I now have hope that the darn things will be off within the next few months.

So bear with them - they do an important job and in the end you'll thank them for it. :)