Sleeping with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lindseylemon

Sleeping with braces

#1 Post by lindseylemon »

Is there a type of guard or anything I can wear while I'm sleeping? I just got six month smile braces a few days ago and it's taking a bit to get used to. I'm a side sleeper and I don't want the braces digging into my cheeks. Thanks for the help!

EWUgal15

Re: Sleeping with braces

#2 Post by EWUgal15 »

Talk to your orthodontist and your dentist. I'm a grinder...so I had a night guard before braces...the orthodontist thought I would stop because of my brace, but he was wrong. My dentist took a mold of my top teeth and made a special flexible night guard that was a bit over sized to accommodate my teeth moving. It can be done. My treatment time is much longer than 6 months, so I will have them re-made pretty frequently as things change, but every case is different.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

Your cheeks will toughen up quickly; usually within a couple of weeks. While lots of people use wax during the daytime, night is really the best time NOT to use it, as your mouth doesn't move much (so it's not that painful), and the gentle rubbing will help the necessary calluses form quickly.

PhDGuy

#4 Post by PhDGuy »

You will get used to it and your cheeks will toughen up soon. I am also a side sleeper and I keep moving around at night going from sleeping on my back to one side to the other and back and I had the same concerns you have.

I'm around a month in to my treatment and since I was concerned about the braces digging in to my cheeks as well, I had wax on 24/7 for the first couple of weeks and I found that it was just a pain in the neck to keep up with it. So after the first couple of weeks, I'd only put wax on the bands on my first molars because the attachments on them drove me nuts, yet it didn't help a whole lot and I kept getting blisters right where the bands are. So, I just decided to quit on the wax completely and I find it to be way better since those blisters/callouses have hardened up and now don't bother me anymore.

Top and Bottom Damon 3MX Braces put on 4/13/2015

lambchop

#5 Post by lambchop »

I find if I kind of puff out my cheeks with air first thing in the morning, before I try to talk or move my mouth much, I can disengage the braces from my cheek tissue and free things up a little bit.

robgs

#6 Post by robgs »

I think it would be best to try to get used to it. The sooner you get used to it the better. You shouldn't move much while sleeping so I don't see a lot of problems going on except for the first few days maybe. All the best!

ItsFreyja

#7 Post by ItsFreyja »

Although I've only had my braces on for a few days now, I actually have a different opinion. Based on my own experiences over the years as a callused musician, I feel that my soft tissue thickens up best when the irritant pressure on it is varied and non-continuous. So I've gone wax-free during the daytime when the pressure sites are always changing. But at night when the pressure is fairly firm and persistent (I'm a committed stomach sleeper!) I definitely wax the 2-3 spots that are the most tender. It's kept the rawest spots from turning into bad sores and I hope to graduate from the wax altogether in another couple of weeks. I think a full mouth guard would annoy me personally, but I can see how one could be useful!

JexieMay

#8 Post by JexieMay »

For the first few months my brackets seriously dug into my cheeks and they were really cut up and painful... eventually the inside of my lip and cheeks just got immune to it... guess the skin just got harder as a defence mechanism! lol

Candyland

#9 Post by Candyland »

I started having a problem with my class II elastics rubbing a deep grove into my cheek and my Ortho gave me some little triangle shaped guards to use. Apparently they use them to keep areas in your mouth dry when doing small procedures. They have a paper like coating and adhere to the inside of your cheek. They aren't completely unnoticeable when you put them in but they work great for allowing your cheek time to heal up.