Feeling sad after braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Weezy

Feeling sad after braces

#1 Post by Weezy »

Ok so I'm really weird. I miss my braces so much. I only got them off two days ago and I feel so 'lost'. I miss smiling with them, brushing weirdly and having all the brackets in the way when I'm eating. I know I'm nuts but I really do miss them :(

Any advice how to 'move' on. My teeth are fine now but I just feel like a part of me has been ripped away :(

sirwired

Re: Feeling sad after braces

#2 Post by sirwired »

What are you doing for retention? If you are in a Hawley, it should arrive soon, and you'll get a couple weeks of talking funny, and everybody can check out the labial bow wire. And, if you like, you can wear it while eating to relive the feeling of food getting stuck in annoying places. :D

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

I reviewed your past posts to see if there was any sign of underlying psychiatric issues but didn't seem to see any :wink: . I'm kidding, of course.
On a serious note:
I think a lot of us see braces as a means to an end, and can't wait to reach the finish line. It would seem that you really integrated them into your self image and made the very best of the situation. You are miles ahead of me in that department.
Looking at the loss of your braces as a grieving process, I'd recommend that you embrace that sadness and work through all the stages that have been so well described by Kubler-Ross and others. You note that you are happy with your teeth, so you'll probably adjust to the "new you" in short order. Perhaps you see braces as a friend, something that has helped you to reach the next level in your personal appearance, and you appreciate that.
It may sound odd, but perhaps you should consider a small personal ceremony to mark your transition, a chance to thank your braces and to say good bye.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I figured I would miss my braces also so the assistant let me take them home. I can see them anything I want, they are secured in a bag. They can't escape...
They smile at me and say, "I'm glad I was able to make your smile so pretty!"

:lol:

I think it is normal to miss them, that was your identity for so long, the person with braces...but now, you have a new friend...retainer friend. Embrace her...she is stuck with you for life!

Good luck! Congratulations on the new smile!

EWUgal15

#5 Post by EWUgal15 »

I was hoping I wasn't the only person that would be sad to see them go. I still have a while left in braces (upwards of a year), but I started imagining what it would be like without them and I got sad. It makes me glad to find that I'm not the only that would feel this way and that there's a chance I could keep them after they come off!

Weezy

#6 Post by Weezy »

Thanks guys :) I'm feeling better now without them. I wasn't allowed to keep them as a 'souvenir' apparently they are considered as sharps. I still do miss them but I'm becoming more used to my smile. I only have an essix retainer and two bonded retainers.I feel more ordinary though without them haha they really made me feel confident unlike most people would say. I just loved smiling with them and ok I used them a lot to my advantage. Being 20, with them I easily looked 15 (prob still do even without them) so I made the most of child price tickets at the movies xD

EWUgal15

#7 Post by EWUgal15 »

Weezy wrote:I just loved smiling with them and ok I used them a lot to my advantage. Being 20, with them I easily looked 15 (prob still do even without them) so I made the most of child price tickets at the movies xD
Best use of braces. Ever.

deathorglory

#8 Post by deathorglory »

EWUgal15 wrote:
Weezy wrote:I just loved smiling with them and ok I used them a lot to my advantage. Being 20, with them I easily looked 15 (prob still do even without them) so I made the most of child price tickets at the movies xD
Best use of braces. Ever.
!!!! I've got to try this...I'm 29 and was told the other day that I look 15!!!! Teeheeee...
Braces on March 7th, 2014
Lower Jaw Surgery (BSSO) March 30th, 2015