Beware "Holistic" Dentists

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iob

Re: Beware "Holistic" Dentists

#16 Post by iob »

A research claim is made. sirwired's Pinocchio alarm goes off. Fact checking is conducted. Sirwired enters the forum, delivers the rebuttal (again), drops the mic, and walks off the stage. Beautiful.

Conclusion: If one enters the octagon (also known as the "Holistic Dentist Sticky Note forum"), come prepared.

FixMyOpenBitePlz

#17 Post by FixMyOpenBitePlz »

Very interestig perspective on this. Thank youd sharing it

McHobbit

#18 Post by McHobbit »

Thanks god for the fluoride free toothpaste. I am allergic/hypersensitive to fluoride so I need to brush with SOMETHING. I have NOT gotten more cavities since I stopped using it. Less if anything. Nutrition and keeping the teeth clean seem to play a bigger part than fluoride. Cultures that eat zero processed food but don't use fluoride have better teeth than us. Not to say that fluoride doesn't work but hyper sensitively to it exists.

Now the holistic dentists? My god. I went to one once who tried to tell me that the eye teeth determine your mood so if you have a mouth full of bad teeth the eye teeth are to be fixed first. Lord in heaven, any decayed tooth would probably mess with your mood!

phasesofbeauty

#19 Post by phasesofbeauty »

McHobbit wrote:Thanks god for the fluoride free toothpaste. I am allergic/hypersensitive to fluoride so I need to brush with SOMETHING. I have NOT gotten more cavities since I stopped using it. Less if anything. Nutrition and keeping the teeth clean seem to play a bigger part than fluoride. Cultures that eat zero processed food but don't use fluoride have better teeth than us. Not to say that fluoride doesn't work but hyper sensitively to it exists.

Now the holistic dentists? My god. I went to one once who tried to tell me that the eye teeth determine your mood so if you have a mouth full of bad teeth the eye teeth are to be fixed first. Lord in heaven, any decayed tooth would probably mess with your mood!
I think it is the sugar in our diets that rots the teeth. I have noticed that people from "primitive" cultures have the nicest teeth and have few cavity issues.

And I laughed so hard about the eye tooth determining your mood. I have heard of witch doctors...it looks as though you have found yourself a "witch dentist".
Helpful Information to Make Your Life More Frugal and More Fun!
https://krystalbrownblog.wordpress.com

McHobbit

#20 Post by McHobbit »

Yeah, I didn't go back there again. That just sounded stupid and like something akin to the whole Humorism spiel from back in the day. So I ran. She was a "holistic" dentist but witch dentist seems more fitting. 100% agree on the sugar but I think it is processed food also. I'm trying to have very little of both. I do think that fluoride probably counteracts the effects of the sugar but it's not worth it for me with the sensitivity. The most important thing is that the teeth are cleaned and that I can do without fluoride.

krizzz

#21 Post by krizzz »

Some scientific proof/stats on "certain cultures having healthier teeth without dentists and regular brushing" ? Sounds like stereotype to me.

MayBeautyFace

#22 Post by MayBeautyFace »

First Red flag: the use of the term "holistic" in relation to a medical service

Second Red flag: making absolute claims of success

Third Red flag: relating too opposites to each other without actual scientific evidence

passport

#23 Post by passport »

[quote="jfriend33"]I do think that oil pulling is a neat idea, although I have never tried it.[/quote]

I know someone who believed in oil pulling and did it for a few years, thinking it could replace dentist visits. Not sure whether he wanted to save money, avoid "chemicals" at the dentist's, be more natural, or what. Now he's been told he needs a very expensive deep cleaning to remove the years of plaque. And his receding, inflamed gums will need their own treatment.

jfriend33

#24 Post by jfriend33 »

passport wrote:
jfriend33 wrote:I do think that oil pulling is a neat idea, although I have never tried it.
I know someone who believed in oil pulling and did it for a few years, thinking it could replace dentist visits. Not sure whether he wanted to save money, avoid "chemicals" at the dentist's, be more natural, or what. Now he's been told he needs a very expensive deep cleaning to remove the years of plaque. And his receding, inflamed gums will need their own treatment.
Well yeah that was a little ignorant of them to do that. I meant as supplementary to prophy of course!

Skortho

#25 Post by Skortho »

I would never really fullt trust anything with holistic in it

Grix

#26 Post by Grix »

Thanks for posting this, interesting read and I get my full set of braces in 1 week. At 35 I'm feeling nervous but confident my smile will improve and confidence will come through.

ShiningCity

#27 Post by ShiningCity »

Though this is true, I think they'll only continue to grow more popular. With the internet, charlatans can easily find new people. Look at the whole organic food movement. It's probably become the third biggest religion in North America, despite have literally zero science to back up any concern over GMO. If you think a drought resistant tomato somehow magically causes cancer, why can't a filling magically cause diabetes? Anything is possible with magical thinking.

Ruthio

#28 Post by Ruthio »

Thankfully I've never heard of any dentist or Orthodontist in the UK making holistic claims. But if I do, I know what to do (ignore them).

AlfredoS

#29 Post by AlfredoS »

If the internet is anything to go by, their numbers are growing each day.

AlfredoS

#30 Post by AlfredoS »

[quote="MayBeautyFace"]First Red flag: the use of the term "holistic" in relation to a medical service

Second Red flag: making absolute claims of success

Third Red flag: relating too opposites to each other without actual scientific evidence[/quote]
4th red flag: Anything you see on youtube about alternative treatments