Do adults teeth fall out of alignment after braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JustBrian

Do adults teeth fall out of alignment after braces?

#1 Post by JustBrian »

When I was a teen, I had braces. After they were taken off, my teeth pretty much all fell out of alignment. I didn't wear my retainer as much as I was supposed to. Now that I'm well into my 30s, I'm more conscious about my horribly misaligned teeth and want to get braces again to correct it. But my question is, could they fall back out of alignment again? I always assumed they did before because they were still growing/moving, but I'm not sure. Also, do you still have to use a retainer as an adult? I would hate to invest all that time and money into trying again just to end up back where I started again. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Brian

007Jaws

Re: Do adults teeth fall out of alignment after braces?

#2 Post by 007Jaws »

Teeth can become misaligned regardless of being an adult. Retainers are for life. Generally there's a time period of wearing retainers 24/7 after braces. Then, it is only at night. Good luck in your decision.

ljms

#3 Post by ljms »

Yes! Absolutely!

According to the information I recieved when I got my braces, the retainer protocol is to wear the retainer all the time for six months, at night for six months, and then at night for two or three nights a week for as long as you have teeth.

I've also learned that adult teeth tend to be even more unstable than teenage teeth so orthos often recommend premanent retainers for the front four to six teeth.

JustBrian

#4 Post by JustBrian »

For LIFE? Ugh. I'm going to have to think a lot on that. Hardly seems worth a lifetime of discomfort just to try to gain a little self confidence. I might be better off just getting veneers or something else.

Regardless, thank you both for your quick responses, they were very helpful.

hj55

#5 Post by hj55 »

Retainers are not uncomfortable. I have been brace free since 2010 and my teeth have not moved at all. I have fixed retainers top and bottom and also use Essix retainers. I am now 60 and quite happy to continue to use them! :)

plugnickel69

#6 Post by plugnickel69 »

hj55 wrote:Retainers are not uncomfortable. I have been brace free since 2010 and my teeth have not moved at all. I have fixed retainers top and bottom and also use Essix retainers. I am now 60 and quite happy to continue to use them! :)
I totally agree with hj55. Why be unhappy every day? Permanent retainers are little hassle and keep everything in place.

LithpingLitha

#7 Post by LithpingLitha »

Teeth shift throughout life, regardless of retainers. All of my relatives had perfectly straight teeth and as they aged, their teeth began to shift.
It's been a shocking reversal, since I was the only one of the family with crooked teeth needing braces. Now I wear my retainers to keep the shape (thought there have been some changes, nothing drastic) and I feel that they really should have invested in retainers when theirs began shifting. If they had, perhaps their teeth would still look great. :?
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story

mrwata

#8 Post by mrwata »

I'm getting my 2nd set of braces because my teeth shifted…
My new orthodontist told me after 2-3 years of braces, I'd have to wear retainers for life.

Snowglobe32

#9 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I wore braces for almost 4 years and I have had them off for 1 1/2 years....I feel that it is very important to wear your retainers. They are meant to retain your teeth in the proper position. If you don't wear them, there is a good chance your teeth will not stay in proper position. I wear mine everyday. Some days with longer wear time but I think in the 1 1/2 years, I have missed maybe a total of 48 hours without a retainer at one time...

I believe that retainers should be worn for the rest of your life...or as long as you want straight teeth. You don't have to wear them everyday (except for when they first come off), but you do have to wear them and continue to get dental checkups. Why people spend thousands on braces only to neglect their teeth once they are off is beyond me...why even bother? Like someone else posted, teeth will shift over your lifetime, that is why it is important to continue with check ups throughout your entire life.

If someone is put off at the idea of having to wear retainers, it would probably be best to save your time and money. How hard is it to wear a retainer when you are sleeping???

sirwired

#10 Post by sirwired »

After you get through the original 24x7 retainer period, night-only wear isn't that bad at all. And unlike, say, mouthguards, retainers last for a really long time.

ItsFreyja

#11 Post by ItsFreyja »

Another vote here for "yes, teeth keep shifting." I'm about to get rebraced as a 30-something to correct all the teeth that have been displaced over the last 20 years by my mild crowding. Needless to say, I will wear my retainers faithfully for the rest of my life!!

vaselina

#12 Post by vaselina »

Retainers are not that bad, and definitely worth it after all the pain and torture we must go through. :GapToothed:

SkyWolf

#13 Post by SkyWolf »

I've had my braces off for seven years now and I only wear my retainers six to eight hours a night while I sleep. There really not uncomfortable once you get use to them. My teeth have not shifted at all either but it is for life.

jaime

#14 Post by jaime »

JustBrian, I think a lot of braces-wearers have the same reaction you did when they learn that retainers are for life. However, I really think it's something you'll just get used to doing. It'll just become part of your routine and you'll barely think about it anymore. Kind of like brushing your teeth or washing your face before bed. Adding another step into your daily routine certainly seems like a hassle at first, but eventually it'll just be habit.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)