Rubber bands are causing me problems?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FinallyBracesFree

Rubber bands are causing me problems?

#1 Post by FinallyBracesFree »

My orthodontist is having me wear a rubber band 24/7 (except when eating and brushing) on the left side of my mouth to pull my bite back a little. My bite is lined up on the right but not the left side. Last time I was in braces I wore rubber bands on both sides with no problems except soreness. Now they're causing me problems. It is making my cheek VERY sore and irritated. It's hard to even move that cheek when the rubber band is in. If I feel my cheek with my tongue, it doesn't feel right. One time it appeared to feel raw.

Last time they gave me Impala rubber bands and this time they gave me Elliot. Could this be the problem? I'm not gonna call up there cause I just did a couple days ago for a different issue that has been resolved and my orthodontist gets easily frustrated with me.

Can I start off just wearing them at night until I get used to them? Like 12am until 2pm? That's how long I sleep (iron deficiency, makes me tired) so it works out. The rest of the day I'm eating often trying to fit all my meals in and it's really irritating to have to keep taking them in and out. But like right now I have it in and it's really irritated and sore. And if I stop wearing it for a couple days it goes away and then it comes back after I start it up again. What should I do? Is this normal? I didn't experience this last time I had rubber bands.

Thanks in advance!

djspeece

Re: Rubber bands are causing me problems?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I think most of us would advise you to follow your orthodontist's instructions. Waxing may help to some extent, but unfortunately the odds are that you'll simply have to tough it out until your cheeks get used to the friction. Best of luck to you -- I know from personal experience that it is painful and frustrating. Hang in there.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

ljms

Re: Rubber bands are causing me problems?

#3 Post by ljms »

I know what you're talking about. I've experienced this on both sides, thankfully not at the same time.

Depending on where it's rubbing, my solution may or may not work.

I put a large piece of wax on the bracket nearest the sore spot. The purpose is to push the cheek out just a bit so the elastic doesn't rub as much. I also rinsed with salt water twice a day to speed healing.

Both times, it took almost a week to heal.

I agree with Dan. Follow your orthodontist's instructions even if you have to tough it out. Doing something different may mess up the treatment plan.