1st premolar and canine transposition

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rachelb

1st premolar and canine transposition

#1 Post by rachelb »

Hey everyone! I have finally decided to get braces to fix my teeth. I'm 25 and I have an impacted canine on the upper right side and an ectopically erupted permanent canine on the left side. The problem is that my left upper canine erupted somewhere between the 1st and 2nd premolars, so my orthodontist will not be able to move it in its rightful position (it would take too long). He told me he would switch places between the canine and the 1st premolar and then make the teeth look more like each other. I hope you get what I'm trying to say :))
To sum it up, the 1st premolar will be sitting in the spot of my permanent canine and be reshaped to resemble a canine, while the canine will sit in the position of the 1st premolar and have to be shortened a bit to look like a premolar.
I'm kind of scared that my teeth will not look good or the switcharoo might have an impact on my bite.
Anyone else had experience with a treatment plan like this?

Defiant93

Re: 1st premolar and canine transposition

#2 Post by Defiant93 »

I have missing upper laterals, so I'm in the process of my teeth being shifted forward and then later reshaped to make them act more like the laterals.

From what I can tell, reshaping is a common restorative technique and usually nobody can tell because it will be made to look identical. As for the reshaping they will probably add some material to the back part of your lateral to make it act more like a pre-molar. :)

natashabasha

#3 Post by natashabasha »

Defiant93 wrote:I have missing upper laterals, so I'm in the process of my teeth being shifted forward and then later reshaped to make them act more like the laterals.

From what I can tell, reshaping is a common restorative technique and usually nobody can tell because it will be made to look identical. As for the reshaping they will probably add some material to the back part of your lateral to make it act more like a pre-molar. :)
I had a transposition as well! My canine was about two teeth back (and sticking up the top like a vampire tooth) from where it was meant to be. I had all premolars taken out. On the side of the transposition I had a second premolar taken out so that the canine could shift forward and slot into place. Now instead of having a vampire like tooth I'm glad to say it's in place now :D It seems strange that he's going in for the switching option though? How long have you been told that you'd be in braces for?

rachelb

#4 Post by rachelb »

Thanks for the replies, I'm feeling more reassured about my situation!

It's gonna be a little weird having my permanent canine join the other teeth on the arch instead of hanging solo in front of my premolars, I had kind of gotten used to it :D

booitshannah

#5 Post by booitshannah »

this is EXACTLY what my orthodontist told me and im in the same position, i know its like 2 years later but if its possible at all could you update me on how everything turned out pleaseeeeeeee because at the moment it feels like im the only person that would have a canine and a premolar swapped around D: Thank youu :)

vampirefangs22

#6 Post by vampirefangs22 »

I also have a maxillary 1st premolar - canine transposition, but it's in the upper right quadrant of my mouth. I don't really notice it much as I used to and it's a lot less noticeable than my mandibular left lateral incisor - canine transposition (which I've also gotten used to). My orthodontist is currently aligning both sets of transposed teeth in their transposed positions and is thinking about reshaping the crowns of those teeth at some point.