Former Lurker/Newbie---Braces Launch in 36 Hours

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MissV

Former Lurker/Newbie---Braces Launch in 36 Hours

#1 Post by MissV »

Hello all, I will get braces on Monday and I am quite excited to get on the road to improve my smile and bite. Early 30s, Damon clear upper and lower

Looking forward to participating on the forum :)

MissV

Skeetergirl

Re: Former Lurker/Newbie---Braces Launch in 36 Hours

#2 Post by Skeetergirl »

Welcome, MissV, I wish you luck on Monday!

Braces, Transpalatal Arch and Lower Lingual Arch
Start Date: 05/20/2015 (1 week before my 56th birthday)
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Debond Date: 10/19/2017 (2 years 5 months)

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

Good luck and welcome to the club!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

cdmoses6

#4 Post by cdmoses6 »

Hope everything goes well today!! Congrats on getting started! :D :flowerbloom:
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

NeilH

#5 Post by NeilH »

Hi, Welcome and good luck, this forum is a great source of support and advice.

aspiromusings

#6 Post by aspiromusings »

MissV wrote:Hello all, I will get braces on Monday and I am quite excited to get on the road to improve my smile and bite. Early 30s, Damon clear upper and lower

Looking forward to participating on the forum :)

MissV
Early 30s, damon clears as well ;) How did you go?
Blog - http://aspiroisbraced.blogspot.com/

Top Braces on 20th March 2015

Bottom braces on 28th August 2015

Top premolars extracted 25th April 2015

Debraced 15th December 2017 :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-*

MissV

#7 Post by MissV »

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and hellos

aspiromusings, not at bad as I expected. My ortho and her team are really great. It was encouraging that she mentioned my teeth are going to move fast. I will say it weird for the first few days (my poor cheeks were getting wrecked! but I adjusted by the weekend and that soreness has subsided). Most people do not notice the braces. No one at work noticed them, which I was concerned about because I have to do a lot of public speaking. I had to make an announcement at Easter dinner that I actually had braces because a family member noticed I was sticking to the softer foods. The response was "huh?" Really? and why did you do that? LOL! Lots of eye squinting and people walking up to me for a closer inspection.

In my case, I needed extractions of the premolars ---that part was not pleasant but not horrible (I consulted 3 orthos on this and all came to the same conclusion. Room was needed to move the teeth into the correct positions and my having a small mouth did not allow for that (and I knew it was true but it took a long time for me to except it as in 6 months). I am happy I don't look like a jack-o-latern so that helps

One week down almost on week two.

Extra info: I was scared off from getting braces after a useless invisalign experience ---meaning there was no way in the world Invisalign would fix my issue but I was hard headed and wanted to do this the easy way.

aspiromusings

#8 Post by aspiromusings »

MissV wrote:Thanks everyone for the welcomes and hellos

aspiromusings, not at bad as I expected. My ortho and her team are really great. It was encouraging that she mentioned my teeth are going to move fast. I will say it weird for the first few days (my poor cheeks were getting wrecked! but I adjusted by the weekend and that soreness has subsided). Most people do not notice the braces. No one at work noticed them, which I was concerned about because I have to do a lot of public speaking. I had to make an announcement at Easter dinner that I actually had braces because a family member noticed I was sticking to the softer foods. The response was "huh?" Really? and why did you do that? LOL! Lots of eye squinting and people walking up to me for a closer inspection.

In my case, I needed extractions of the premolars ---that part was not pleasant but not horrible (I consulted 3 orthos on this and all came to the same conclusion. Room was needed to move the teeth into the correct positions and my having a small mouth did not allow for that (and I knew it was true but it took a long time for me to except it as in 6 months). I am happy I don't look like a jack-o-latern so that helps

Extra info: I was scared off from getting braces after a useless invisalign experience ---meaning there was no way in the world Invisalign would fix my issue but I was hard headed and wanted to do this the easy way.
I will also be needing 2 premolars extracted on my top row - this is happening on the 24th (not that I'm nervously counting or anything) - unless people are up really close they can't really tell that I have braces however my speech has been affected slightly which is a giveaway that something's up ;) I dont mind though, honestly now that I have them on I can't for the life of me work out why it took me so long

I have had absolutely no discomfort apart from teeth being a bit sensitive and shaky - I can only credit that to the brace type and the skills of my orthodontist - ask me again though post extractions and I might be singing a different tune
:GapToothed: :GapToothed: :GapToothed:

border

#9 Post by border »

I am new as well! Good luck!

aspiromusings

#10 Post by aspiromusings »

aspiromusings wrote:
MissV wrote:Thanks everyone for the welcomes and hellos

I will also be needing 2 premolars extracted on my top row - this is happening on the 24th (not that I'm nervously counting or anything) - unless people are up really close they can't really tell that I have braces however my speech has been affected slightly which is a giveaway that something's up ;) I dont mind though, honestly now that I have them on I can't for the life of me work out why it took me so long

I have had absolutely no discomfort apart from teeth being a bit sensitive and shaky - I can only credit that to the brace type and the skills of my orthodontist - ask me again though post extractions and I might be singing a different tune
:GapToothed: :GapToothed: :GapToothed:
Nup, post extractions and still singing the same tune lol, I'm guessing otrthodontics has come a long long way, I have never at any stage of my treatment so far felt any degree of pain, discomfort yes, pain zero =) *fingers crossed it stays this way

MissV

#11 Post by MissV »

Awesome! My extraction sites healed up pretty quickly but it was hard getting used to chewing. I kept thinking there were premolars to chew with but always met with an angry archwire :) Keep dental picks with you in all food related situations!

aspiromusings

#12 Post by aspiromusings »

MissV wrote:Awesome! My extraction sites healed up pretty quickly but it was hard getting used to chewing. I kept thinking there were premolars to chew with but always met with an angry archwire :) Keep dental picks with you in all food related situations!
haha well i've never chewed with my premolars but yes my extraction sites are completely healed now, just going a bit easy with the water flosser and toothbrush around the area=)

currystained

#13 Post by currystained »

Hellooo. About 2 weeks in myself, ceramic uppers and lowers with wire poking everywhere..... Also had the upper premolars extracted (a bonus, as I was originally told all four would need to go).

I hope you're over the sore bite issue now? Things are a bit tender here but nothing like two weeks ago. Most people don't notice, unless I do a Wallace & Grommit style grin at them.

MissV

#14 Post by MissV »

[quote="currystained"]Hellooo. About 2 weeks in myself, ceramic uppers and lowers with wire poking everywhere..... Also had the upper premolars extracted (a bonus, as I was originally told all four would need to go).

I hope you're over the sore bite issue now? Things are a bit tender here but nothing like two weeks ago. Most people don't notice, unless I do a Wallace & Grommit style grin at them.[/quote]

Hey there, the bite issues are definitely better. I can eat salad again! It was a lost cause for the first few weeks but I am getting the hang of it...I was getting worried I would become malnourished with the lack of nutritious food in the beginning! lol

Melissa0131

#15 Post by Melissa0131 »

Congrats and welcome!