Crunching and cracking sensation?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lydime

Crunching and cracking sensation?

#1 Post by lydime »

Hi all. I have had braces for about 9 months. At my last appointment a week ago, I had brackets places on my very back molars to help tip my molars out from this / to this | to relieve crowding on the upper. So, this has been very painful, worse than when I first got them on. But that's ok, means it is moving, right? :) My concern is when even I clench my teeth together I feel a crunching cracking feeling. It doesn't hurt. Just a weird feeling and i kinda keep clenching cause it feels good, sort of like popping a knuckle. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if I should be worried or not?

msw

Re: Crunching and cracking sensation?

#2 Post by msw »

Totally normal, I think. I'm STILL hearing clicking/cracking when I apply pressure to certain teeth. I like clenching also... I don't know what it is, but I know EXACTLY what you mean about it being similar to popping a knuckle. :tingrin:

lydime

#3 Post by lydime »

ok, that makes me feel a lot better. Thanks!

ljms

#4 Post by ljms »

All the time, including right now!

It's nothing to worry about. It's just ligaments popping.

I agree. It's a very weird feeling.

ZariasMommi

#5 Post by ZariasMommi »

I got power chains placed between my canines and my molars (they extracted 4 teeth, everything that followed my canines) .... i get this exact feeling too. i asked a co worker who just finished using braces if she felt this sensation and she said no. So I thought i was going crazy! :) Glad to see i'm not alone. She never had to have extractions or power chains so i wonder if that is the difference....this popping noise all took place last week...and then this weekend my teeth suddenly became very sensitive (they were doing find up until this weekend) i have to eat really soft food. When i floss my front teeth i started to notice the spaces are not so tight anymore......i'm bummed i can't eat everything i want but super excited to know my teeth are making some real changes! :)

mrscetrone

#6 Post by mrscetrone »

Yep. Hear it all the time. It used to freak me out because I thought my teeth were breaking apart.

MrPlenty

#7 Post by MrPlenty »

I have not experienced this at all. Sounds weird. I want no part of that lol

metalliKa

#8 Post by metalliKa »

The first two months...when I chew or bite down on where there is soreness, I'll feel tiny air bubbles popping.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

lorsa

#9 Post by lorsa »

Every time I get a new wire, I get it for a few days. Am going through it now! And I find it kind of "addicting", I find myself opening and closing my mouth just to make my teeth crackle, lol!

lydime

#10 Post by lydime »

I haven't had it again since the first time with the expanding wire. I kind of miss it, lol, I'm weird.