I want my permanent retainers out

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MrsCharisma

Re: I want my permanent retainers out

#16 Post by MrsCharisma »

You'd be surprised.

I had braces at 20, got them off and didn't wear my retainers. My teeth did not "go back" to how they were. They were much, much worse. Before I just had a large gap. After I had crowding and overlapping teeth and a bigger gap.

I also think it's weirdly attention seeker to ask for advice but then only defend what you want to do anyway. So you don't really need any advice because the overwhelming knowledge is that you're taking a gamble and wasting money and years of orthodontic treatment.

Your money and time to waste though...

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

binx

Re: I want my permanent retainers out

#17 Post by binx »

Seconding what others have said, if you don't use retainers and your teeth shift, the results can be unpredictable.

I had extractions and bracing, and a pretty good result from my first round of orthodontic work. Because my Essix retainers were uncomfortable, I was a flop at wearing them, and now 7 years later I'm rebraced. My teeth shifted to give me a front gap (which I don't mind) but also the alignment was ruined, and I developed unfortunate bottom front/side gapping.

BRF is kind of a matter of your resting expression. You can talk to your ortho about it, but I don't think it's likely that just letting your teeth move will change this.

It also sounds to me like the negative self-talk you're doing might be possibly influencing what you think is happening in social interactions. I believe you think that people are reacting to you differently, but maybe your feelings about your smile are coloring the way you see these interactions playing out. Just a guess! I don't disbelieve you, but those sorts of feelings can really impact you negatively, and I bet that you look better than you think you do.