2nd Consultation...WOW!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Loopyman76

2nd Consultation...WOW!

#1 Post by Loopyman76 »

Hi, guys!

So up until last week I had decided to go with the ortho that my general dentist referred me to. Nice office, nice staff, knowledgeable ortho...all good. Had the initial consultation (which was $60), had records done ($220 but was reimbursed by insurance), and was all set to go. Decided I wanted to get the braces in April. Was quoted $5,850 for braces +$300 for ceramic in the top arch. Insurance would knock off $2,300 leaving my total responsibility at about $3,800. They required 20% down (which would be $890), plus the $300 for ceramic to be paid up front, for a total of $1,190 down. Payments would be $148 per month for 18 months. It all seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Then last week I decided to go for a second consultation for the heck of it. Went to a place two of my coworkers were patronizing. One is a 42-year old male police officer who currently has traditional metal braces from them. The other was a coworker who's daughter is in braces. Went Friday. The consultation was FREE. The staff was friendly, and the ortho was nice, knowledgeable and answered my questions. Treatment plan would be basically the same as the first place, except I would be in braces for 24 months instead of 18. Then when they quoted me the PRICE, I was blown away. $3,000 TOTAL for the treatment. Insurance covers $1,500, leaving my balance at $1,500, plus $400 for retainers. $1,900 over 24 months, at $79 per month!! Unbelievable! Practically HALF of what I was about to pay at the other place! Everyone I talked to that went there was satisfied with the service and the results.

Oh, and as far as a "down payment" the only thing I would pay up front is for records ($200) and the first month's payment ($79) for a total of $279 - which I could use my flex spending account to pay! I was shocked. I didn't know I could get braces this inexpensive ANYWHERE! Needless to say I'm going with the second ortho. So glad I went for a second consultation!!! :-)

Nozzelnut

Re: 2nd Consultation...WOW!

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

Make sure you do your research on both orthos. What differences in treatment will there be if any?

Why the large discrepancy in cost?

Not knocking your less expensive option, but make sure he's got the reputation too.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

natashabasha

#3 Post by natashabasha »

I agree with the above response - usually treatment methods may be different which results in a difference in price. Are you having extractions? power chains? tads? these all will contribute to the cost

zena

#4 Post by zena »

the prices mentioned include the power chain and tads but not extractions.

Featheryy1221

#5 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Yeah. Agreed with some of the things the others are mentioning.
For me there was about a $2000 difference between the cheapest and most expensive.
One was expensive because it was Damon braces and the cost didnt include one extraction. The other was very cheap because I had to have 4 extractions which wasn't inlcuded in the cost. And the ortho I went with was expensive because he was using an expander.

It could be very possible that you don't need any special appliances or extractions, otherwise I'm sure your ortho would have mentioned them (unless he did and you didn't mention it). Not everyone needs extractions, nor does everyone use tads (which would be included in the price, along with every other appliance such as expanders, etc).

Regardless, make sure you understand each treatment and that you are comfortable at that ortho.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Nozzelnut

#6 Post by Nozzelnut »

Other "hidden" costs to talk about; breakage repairs, post braces corrections (gaps, shifting teeth...) long term retainers years down the road...

And don't forget their hours and your schedule. If ortho A has after work options for appointments and ortho B doesn't you have to figure in that cost. Mileage and convenience plays a part in the decision as much as you being comfortable working with the staff for 2 years.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

Loopyman76

#7 Post by Loopyman76 »

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. Both orthos are close to my house, but the second (the less expensive one) is actually closer - literally about 5 minutes away from my house. Practically walking distance. As far as other, or "hidden" costs (power chains, extractions, etc.) - those exist regardless of where I go. The prices I was quoted were for the BRACES TREATMENT. We're talking saving 2,000 DOLLARS! Again, like I said in the original post - I ALREADY KNOW SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO DEAL WITH THE 2ND PLACE. I actually don't know any other patients from the first ortho - but my general dentist referred me, which was good enough, and I liked them when I visited.

The 2nd ortho is also treating several of my coworkers (or their children), and I know several others who have gotten braces from there. It's actually a "chain" dentistry of a popular name, but I think this particular dentist is independently run (not sure). This place is KNOWN to be less expensive, but I've never heard ANYONE complain about the treatment or the results. The ortho appointments there are on Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm already OFF EVERY FRIDAY (I work Monday through Thursday), so that's VERY convenient. The other ortho is closed on Fridays, so I would have to make arrangements to leave work early for my appointments, which is no big deal as my job is flexible, but it's still more convenient to just do all my appointments on my day off. Again, I would have to pay for extractions regardless which ortho I went with. I have good insurance, and I pay 20% of the total cost for those, so I'll just have my regular dentist do it.

Trust me - I'm not going into it totally blind, here. There's no justification for me to spend an additional $2,000 when I don't have to, especially when the less expensive ortho is more conveninet in many ways. Like I said I liked the first ortho a LOT, and I was willing to pay the money, but I cannot pass up that kind of difference in price, especially when the service was basically satisfactory at both. I will say that the 1st ortho would be slightly more one-on-one care, as the 2nd one is almost like a teenage brace factory with cubicles separating everyone getting treatment (LOL), but I have no real problem with that - AND I'M SAVING $2,000 bucks! LOL

The only real "downers" for me are two things: !) I'll be in braces 24 months instead of 18 (I really don't care), and 2) - the first ortho used self-ligating braces, and the 2nd one uses the ones with ties (I really liked the self-ligating ones better, but I can deal with ties - for $2,000 SAVINGS!). I can think of WAYYY too many other things I can do with $2,000 if I don't HAVE to spend it on braces (and I can still get the braces)!

Featheryy1221

#8 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I think we were all just saying to make sure you know why there was such a difference in prices, not knocking the cost or your savings.
Part of that difference is probably because its a dentist chain, so it sounds like that might mean its a dentist doing your braces not an ortho.

As long as you're happy with your decision and have researched it all and get why theres a price difference, that's all that matters.
Best of luck with your treatment!

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Loopyman76

#9 Post by Loopyman76 »

Thanks guys! I actually appreciate the advice. I think if it weren't for the fact that I've actually seen the results of this second place (in several people I know) then I'd be a LOT more apprehensive. I'm not rich by any means, but I'm willing to spend the extra money on something like my teeth if I can. If I thought the results and quality of treatment would be vastly different then I wouldn't even consider this place - even though it's cheaper. But honestly in weighing the two option, it feels like I'd be a fool to spend the extra money when it doesn't appear to be necessary at all. Again, than you guys and I really appreciate this forum. FOR REAL! :)

Loopyman76

#10 Post by Loopyman76 »

Oh yeah, I see I didn't really mention it. The 1st ortho wasn't requiring any extractions, except that she recommended getting my bottom wisdom teeth removed at some point, as they're partially impacted and could give me trouble down the line, but I didn't need them removed for my braces treatments - so no extractions for that one.

The 2nd ortho said I would need one tooth extracted in my upper arch. It's out of aligment and sort of behind my other teeth, hence the slight crowding I have in my upper arch. That's the only tooth he said I need pulled. Other than that, the treatments would be nearly identical. They both said practically the same thing.

zena

#11 Post by zena »

extracting only one tooth is questionable. extracting wisdom tooth is more logical. so if I were you, I would have at least 3 more opinions. I had eight consultations .

Loopyman76

#12 Post by Loopyman76 »

Thanks for the reply, Zena! I actually do plan on at least a couple of more consultations. I don't think I could do eight. I'd probably drive myself crazy! LOL. Decisions, decisions.

DrJasonKTam

#13 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Sounds like OP has thought of a lot of factors that would make the 2nd orthodontist very attractive, with the biggest consideration being the cost.

In chain offices, there can often be an orthodontist, but they are generally employees and not owners. In many of them, the orthodontist is usually a new graduate looking for work, and is often doing this work to supplement their own start-up office, whereby leaving when they no longer need this supplement. There are complaints by orthodontists who work in those chains that there is not always proper continuity in care, because orthodontists switch in and out more regularly than in a private orthodontic clinic. With doctors who know they are simply buying their time until they leave, some have complained that not all of the work is always done as it should be. The staff working with you there are not often as experienced with the work because the orthodontist only goes in on certain days.

That being said, in the great debate of cost, the biggest issue, and it may not be an issue here, is that you can only accurately compare the cost of treatment for something that is identical. The thing you are paying for is the result as well as the experience. Braces are not a commodity like a TV, where you would go to any store and receive the same product. Your results will depend on the expertise and skill of the doctor and those working with you.

Like I said above, it sounds like you have done quite a bit of research, but I wanted to shed some more light here. Good luck with your treatment!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Loopyman76

#14 Post by Loopyman76 »

Dr. Tam, Thank you so much for your insightful reply! My perception of the 2nd clinic is very much in line with what you said. They only do orthodontic work on Wednesdays and Fridays. The orthodontist that did my consultation was an older gentleman who seemed very knowledgeable and experienced. The staff was pleasant. There's one side of the clinic for general dental work, and another side for orthodontics. My reference for the results of that clinic is that I happen to know quite a few people who had their work done there, both adults who had braces and parents of minors who had them done there, and from what I've seen they do great work, and I've heard no complaints about their work. (I think it's safe to assume it's a popular place because of their affordability).

I will admit that though the 2nd ortho was satisfactory (and I usually trust my gut and initial impressions), I would rather go with the first orthodontist. If money were no object that would be my decision. Unfortunately there are other factors to consider, like other financial obligations (car needs repairs, I need new glasses as well, etc), and my budget is limited. Of course if I truly felt that I would not get satisfactory treatment or results I wouldn't even consider the 2nd clinic, as I was initially prepared to sacrifice and pay the first clinic. However, I truly feel if I'm getting the same results it makes sense to save money, even though I would be in braces longer if I went with the 2nd ortho. I would also be willing to put off braces for a while if it came to that, but I really don't want to wait any longer, and I don't think I'll have to. This is a big deal, as you guys know, and again I REALLY appreciate the feedback! You guys are truly helping this dude who's about to get braces for the first time ever! I haven't made a final decision just yet, but either way I'll be in braces by the 1st of May. :-)
Last edited by Loopyman76 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loopyman76

#15 Post by Loopyman76 »

BTW, Dr. Tam thank you for bringing up the issue of continuity in care. That's something I had not previously thought of, and will definitely be a factor in my final decision.