Gift for my orthodontist

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lorianne

Gift for my orthodontist

#1 Post by Lorianne »

I'm getting near the end of my treatment and I know I want to give a gift to the technician who works on me every time I go in, and is awesome, and to my Ortho, who is equally awesome. I am thinking of making them both a homemade quilt. I love making homemade gifts for people and I'm not a great cooker or baker, so that's out. Would this seem silly, ridiculous, weird?

cs2thecox

Re: Gift for my orthodontist

#2 Post by cs2thecox »

Seems kind of big to me...
Quilted cushion covers might be a more appropriate size?!

(Very sweet idea though!)

Woobster

#3 Post by Woobster »

I think it's a very nice gesture!

Mightymildred

#4 Post by Mightymildred »

This is a lovely idea.
....if you folded it up, it would be the same size as a cushion.
I am lucky to receive lots of gifts from clients. I've had flowers/champagne/wine/chocolate/fruit hampers/dinner out/pictures/canvases with pictures, etc etc. I would be absolutely thrilled if someone brought me a homemade quilt.
What a lovely client you must be.
When I eventually get mine off, I think I'll be quite stuck with what to get my ortho...

Lorianne

#5 Post by Lorianne »

Thanks all for your thoughts, in both directions! I appreciate it. Just fyi, though, it would be a throw-sized quilt, not a ginormous Queen or King size bed quilt. Just to straighten out any misperceptions. ;-) I also thought maybe a wall-hanging type quilt might liven up the place a little. For as great as that office is, it is pretty bare bones, nothing much to look at on walls or ceiling while laying back in a chair for what seems like hours! lol. But then again, I am leaning more towards something they can each personally USE and not just share, and I'm not doing any teeth or braces-themed ANYTHING either. :roll: I'm sure they already get alot of that stuff!

Featheryy1221

#6 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I would go with the blanket. :) The problem with cushions or the wall hanging is not everyone will use them in their home or they may not hang it in the office (mine has the same artwork from 20 years ago haha). I think they'd get more use out of a blanket and I think they'd appreciate it more. It's always hard to know what to give people because you never know people's personal style or even their food preferences (I know you said you're not going to bake anything, just using it as an example). :)

What a sweet gesture and idea. :)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

Perhaps a nice bottle opener? You could probably add brackets and some arch wires with some superglue.

I am seriously considering this.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

phasesofbeauty

#8 Post by phasesofbeauty »

That is very sweet. I would love you as a patient if I were an ortho!
Helpful Information to Make Your Life More Frugal and More Fun!
https://krystalbrownblog.wordpress.com

MrsCharisma

#9 Post by MrsCharisma »

My ortho had a baby girl right near the end of my treatment.

I made this quilt as a gift for him
IMG_7990.JPG
He loved it and his wife emailed me thanking me. Made me sure I'd made the right choice! :) I had no specific assistant assigned to me during my treatment so I got "fancy" cookies for the assistants.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Lorianne

#10 Post by Lorianne »

OMG, Mrs. C! that is GORGEOUS! how very sweet and of course, he AND his wife both loved it. So very thoughtful! I'm so glad I'm not alone in my thinking either! Thanks for the validation everyone! I better get cracking. I've only got a few months left at most! woot!!

MrsCharisma

#11 Post by MrsCharisma »

Lorianne wrote:OMG, Mrs. C! that is GORGEOUS! how very sweet and of course, he AND his wife both loved it. So very thoughtful! I'm so glad I'm not alone in my thinking either! Thanks for the validation everyone! I better get cracking. I've only got a few months left at most! woot!!
Thanks! :)

I would say this would be equivalent to an adult "lap quilt" and totally think there's not enough of "people just doing nice things for others" going around. So go for it! :) I'll be sure to check back here to see if you post pics!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Lorianne

#12 Post by Lorianne »

I will definitely post pics! Meanwhile it's fun to know another quilter!

jaime

#13 Post by jaime »

I quilt too! Fun to see my interests colliding on this board.

MrsCharisma, beautiful job on the quilt! I can't imagine how thrilled your ortho and his wife must have been. A true gift from the heart. :D
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

reen71b

#14 Post by reen71b »

I've had braces for 3 months now (I'm 43 yrs old). My 2nd appointment for my 1st adjustment was quite painful as two of my teeth needed wire ligatures due to the fact that they were so far back. I tried not to bite her but I did it w/o knowing! lol I felt so horrible that at my 3rd appointment 3 days ago, I brought in a homemade baked pumpkin bread loaf for the office as a peace offering. lol They really appreciated it. The assistant whom I bit ended up doing my adjustment again (No biting this time!) and also helped put on my bottom braces. I think a gift is great. I'd say go for it.