How do lips normallly seal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

How do lips normallly seal?

#1 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

I got my braces off a couple of months ago, but I still have lip incompetence which bothers me. My upper lip covers about two thirds of my upper incisors, but my lower lip covers nothing! (so at rest you can see one third of my upper incisors and all my bottom teeth). I was wondering: how do lips normally seal? Does your upper lip normally seal your upper teeth completely or only two thirds? And does you lower lip cover your lower teeth but also a bit of your upper teeth? Just wondering if my problem is only in my lower lip or also in my upper lip....

I am going to see a surgeon next week to discuss my options to achieve a better lip seal. Hopefully I can get away with a genioplasty (as apposed to double jaw surgery) .....

I will keep you updated!

Greetings from Anna

Woobster

Re: How do lips normallly seal?

#2 Post by Woobster »

My lower lip does cover a small portion of my top teeth. That probably varies from person to person though.

I hope your surgeon is able to give you some options. Good luck to you!

purplestar

#3 Post by purplestar »

Before braces, i showed about 2mm of upper incisor at rest. I am a year into braces, and now my upper lip cover only half of my incisor, and sort of hanging on top of the brackets. I still have 3mm extractioñ gap on each side, and a gummy smile to be fixed by pushing up my 4 front teeth with mini screws. I hope these with fixed my lip incompetency.

Looking forward to your update :)

P/s. Your teeth and smile are beautiful, I will be glad if I get similar result

Anna5

#4 Post by Anna5 »

Thanks for your replies!
I think your lip seal is normal, woobster, that the lower lip also covers a bit of the upper teeth.
I wish you very good luck with your treatment, purplestar, I hope your treatment will fix your lip incompetence as well as your teeth!

I will see a surgeon on Tuesday, so I will give you an update then!