My braces are changing colors?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FinallyBracesFree

My braces are changing colors?

#1 Post by FinallyBracesFree »

When I had braces the first time, they never changed colors. Now they're changing colors. I got baby blue last time and they turned a weird shade of green. This time I got light pink and within 2-3 days after getting them on, they have turned a peach/orange color. I am using the same toothpaste I used before. The only thing different that I'm doing is I'm having a glass of orange juice daily. I asked my ortho when I got them on if I could have orange juice every day and he said the way I brush, he's not concerned. I do brush well but I don't usually brush after the orange juice. It's always a couple hours after. Is the orange juice what's causing this?

Featheryy1221

Re: My braces are changing colors?

#2 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Why not brush right afterwards and see if it makes a difference? Then you'd know for sure. :)
From a search, there were other people on here that had the same problem. I'm guessing orange juice does stain ligs.
Apparently so does curry, coffee, turmeric, red wine, etc.
My friends had trouble with light blue ligs staining, that's why I always get silver. It's pretty resistant to stains. I haven't had any problems.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

SkyWolf

#3 Post by SkyWolf »

Apparently mustard and carrots also stain the light colors and it doesn't matter how well you brush. That's what happened to mine at least.

ditsy

#4 Post by ditsy »

I had light blue for my first and they stained to a teal colour after a curry. They did fade back to blue after a few days, but I noticed the colour almost coming out of the band's by the time I had them swapped, one had faded it seemed. I drink orange squash (about 3ltrs a day!) And didn't notice any stains but orange juice is obviously a lot stronger
Now I have bright pink so I will see how they hold up. :)