Facial changes with braces (not that happy)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

orchid

Re: Facial changes with braces (not that happy)

#61 Post by orchid »

Icandyhd wrote:I got my top braces on in October of last year and my bottoms on in feb of last year. I wore an expanded on top for a few months. I didn't have no teeth removed expect wisdom teeth a long time ago. I had a lot of crowding and a small palette. I also struggle with the same issues that orchid has. Where the cheeks protrude out the sides and the cheeks are sunken in and the lower half of the face looks smaller. Someone in this forum said we could be our worst critic but this is not how I looked a year ago. I know I didn't age that fast. Something is wrong. I wasn't sure what was happening to me or why but now I'm seeing it in others who have braces in relieved but now I'm worried if this is permanent or some kind of metal allergy. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and all the time I'm looking up what I can do to fix this problem. I look so unhealthy.
Hi Icandyhd! I saw the pictures and I see our cheekbones being quite similar. It's annoying when you see the difference yourself, but others think you're exaggerating. Although it's no comfort, I now accept my changes more. If you see this, I'll happily discuss the changes with you. I would like to know more about your experience.

geeky1978

#62 Post by geeky1978 »

Hi all

Just thought I'd reply to this. I watched a series of videos from Dr John and Mike Mew who mention a known side effect of braces is a lengthening face as the teeth are loosened during movements causing them to drop down slightly from the upper jaw. Also wearing elastics (from top to bottom) can pull the maxilla down causing further lengthening and cheek flattening.

Also a soft food diet means there will be a significant loss of muscle tone in the cheeks whilst wearing the braces.

The solution to this would be to retain a strong oral posture, tongue firmly on the roof of the mouth for 90% of the time, lips sealed, teeth close together and a strong chewing action to maintain facial muscle strength/tone. Also watch the orthotropic videos on swallowing patterns and avoid creating a suction within the cheeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9OqEd5z1k

geeky1978

#63 Post by geeky1978 »

[quote="geeky1978"]Hi all

Just thought I'd reply to this. I watched a series of videos from Dr John and Mike Mew who mention a known side effect of braces is a lengthening face as the teeth are loosened during movements causing them to drop down slightly from the upper jaw. Also wearing elastics (from top to bottom) can pull the maxilla down causing further lengthening and cheek flattening.

Also a soft food diet means there will be a significant loss of muscle tone in the cheeks whilst wearing the braces. I've noticed my inside cheeks tend to suck inwards on the brackets rather than rest in a relaxed way.

The solution to this would be to retain a strong oral posture, tongue firmly on the roof of the mouth for 90% of the time, lips sealed, teeth close together and a strong chewing action to maintain facial muscle strength/tone. Also watch the orthotropic videos on swallowing patterns and avoid creating a suction within the cheeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9OqEd5z1k[/quote]

Sakurita

#64 Post by Sakurita »

[quote="Icandyhd"][quote="orchid"]Thank you all for your replies. I didn't have any teeth pulled before getting braced, although I did have 4 molars extracted when I was 12 years old, to "make everything fit". I also appreciate the comments about maybe I'm a bit hypersensitive about this...

Well, I found a before shot. It's not straight ahead, but kind of. The right one is today. They are mirrored too. It's not the most flattering pictures and I do see the difference A LOT now. As you can see, my cheekbones stick out from my face and I'm also a bit hollow under them. I've never had this skeleton-like structure before. It's really disturbing to me and I'm really sad right now :(

It's not that I think that I was super attractive before, I just want to look like me and I think I don't.

[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/nmi0cg.jpg[/img][/quote]

I'm having the same exact issue. I made a side by side picture of us. Hopefully I do this right

[URL=http://s67.photobucket.com/user/areyoud ... .jpeg.html][IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h296/ ... image.jpeg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

I think your jaw is lower in second pic, maybe that make your cheekbones looks a little prominent.

Vive18

#65 Post by Vive18 »

WOW I just found this thread and I have the same thing, but I think it started after wisdom teeth removal? Or maybe from braces as a teen, but became WORSE with wisdom teeth. Kinda scares me because I have braces on for a 2nd time now!! OH god I hope it doesn't get even worse. :cry: :oops: :shock:

I look like a skeleton meth addict now. My face is really hollow and gaunt - and it's actually uneven, one side is far worse than the other. It's so depressing. I have an identical twin sister - we did first round of ortho at the same time - but she never had her wisdom teeth extracted. She has round full cheeks, mine are all gone! I also have severe TMJ damage.

I'm wondering what exercises we can do, as well as just chewing. Anyone know of anything else?
Has anyone had an MRI done of their face? I've had one done recently, and it shows my muscles etc, but I don't know how to 'read' it to properly understand if there's been muscle atrophy.

Alani

#66 Post by Alani »

Funny thing is , I am noticed GOOD changes with my face. Less gaunt, more square. Maybe we kind of even out? Because I already had a long face but maybe that was caused by my bite being off for so many years. Also my cheekbones are more prominent, but I like! I have always want high cheekbones ;)

LittleSern

#67 Post by LittleSern »

I definitely have the same changes as you, orchid. I've had my braces for 14 months and I noticed it after just 3 months. 2 people who hadn't seen me since before braces mentioned it as well. I'm hoping after braces come off I'll look more like myself again.

Seasaltmind

#68 Post by Seasaltmind »

I having the same problem. I went to one orthodontist and he wrote me off. Told me i needed plastic surgery. Tomorrow im going to a different doctor and i hope this time will go better. Im only 22 so i know my hallowed post braces face isnt because of age nor is it from changing weight as i was much skinier before braces but my face was plump and i have since fained weight. I will post pictures maybe later.

Seasaltmind

#69 Post by Seasaltmind »

http://a68.tinypic.com/11uyoet.jpg

Heres a photo before and after. My mouth is now crooked and my gums show when my mouths relaxed unlike before. My mouth is very narrow and teeth pushed too far back. I cant wait to fix this.

Welshrarebit

#70 Post by Welshrarebit »

Seasaltmind,

To me your face looks absolutely fine. Your face does look slightly rounder in the 'before' shot but I think that's normal for young people. How old were you when you got braces? My face definitely thinned out between my teens and twenties, I think that is very common and normal.

Of course, if you're not happy then it is your prerogative to seek help. I'm surprised an orthodontist would tell you that you need plastic surgery! To do what, exactly?!

Seasaltmind

#71 Post by Seasaltmind »

[quote="Welshrarebit"]Seasaltmind,

To me your face looks absolutely fine. Your face does look slightly rounder in the 'before' shot but I think that's normal for young people. How old were you when you got braces? My face definitely thinned out between my teens and twenties, I think that is very common and normal.

Of course, if you're not happy then it is your prerogative to seek help. I'm surprised an orthodontist would tell you that you need plastic surgery! To do what, exactly?![/quote]

Hey! I got braces when i was 18/19 and i wore them three years. I actually just got new braces on and im looking forward to a positive change. I am also planning to get jaw surgery.

So far, after two days with the braces i now have a gap between my two front teeth and theyre protruding. I feel embaressed and i hope they will move back soon. Kind of depressing. :(

That previous doctor suggested surgery to my my front lip longer to cover my front teeth. It was odd and he was kind of rude.

Seasaltmind

#72 Post by Seasaltmind »

He wanted to make my top lip longer * but i just need my upper jaw moved upwards, rotated tp be less crooked and pushed back a bit and my lower jaw brought forward.

himx

#73 Post by himx »

Hi Orchid,

The exact same thing happened to me. Did your face ever return to normal?

Skwiredmouth

#74 Post by Skwiredmouth »

Hey Orchid,

I just started my braces 3 days back and even I can see slightly flat cheeks and cheekbones protruding as if I have lost weight.

How are you now?

Ploppy

#75 Post by Ploppy »

Is there a way to get back to fuller cheeks?