Anyone have experience with bite turbos?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sull88

Anyone have experience with bite turbos?

#1 Post by sull88 »

Hi, I just realized that I will be having bite turbos on until my upper jaw widens. Any one with any experience with similar turbos on back side of front upper teeth?

DanInVA

Re: Anyone have experience with bite turbos?

#2 Post by DanInVA »

I had them put on after two weeks into braces. I have a deep bite and the bottom brackets were scraping the backside of my upper teeth when chewing. The bite turbos gave me an instant lisp and I had trouble eating because my molars couldn't touch to grind food. After a month my lisp is gone and I'm actually able to chew food better with the turbos. I sort of use the turbos as two extra teeth and slice food between them and my bottom incisors.

sull88

#3 Post by sull88 »

Thanks Dan. I expected there to be an issue with chewing but the lisp sounds like it will be something to work on. I hope that I can overcome both issues quickly. Thanks, sull

sull88

#4 Post by sull88 »

Well I just got the top braces on and no turbos today. The Ortho said that she will check on my first adjustment in 5 weeks. I hope she opts for no turbos, but whatever she says is what I have to live with. Sull

ljms

#5 Post by ljms »

sull88 wrote:Well I just got the top braces on and no turbos today. The Ortho said that she will check on my first adjustment in 5 weeks. I hope she opts for no turbos, but whatever she says is what I have to live with. Sull
Good news! And you never know; you might luck out and never get them. I did.

I just had an adjustment this morning and my ortho declared my teeth offically clear of the bottom brackets so no bite turbos. I got my bottom brackets on last Febuary so I've been anxious about it for a whole year.

sull88

#6 Post by sull88 »

Thanks for the good news about your turbos. I am not going to get my hopes up for the same result as you, but it is good to know that there are people out there who dodged having them when it was thought to be something needed. Sull

beckyboo0205

#7 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I had them for about 7 months. I got used to them. Even when i got them off it felt so weird that I missed them. It made biting into things a little rough but you get used to them just like anything else. I was always worried about breaking them which was a waste of time because when they came off I thought my ortho was going to break my tooth off!