Cold Feet! 24 hours until braces being fitted!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace2115

Cold Feet! 24 hours until braces being fitted!!

#1 Post by BraceFace2115 »

Anyone else had cold feet the day before a brace fitting? I'm
Getting nervous and am wondering if I am doing the right thing!
I'm having my brace for 10 months, before today I was so excited but now I'm doubting my decision to get it :-/

Bracesat57

Re: Cold Feet! 24 hours until braces being fitted!!

#2 Post by Bracesat57 »

It is just anxiety of having braces as adults.

I had cold feet and even questioned if I was doing the right thing for a few weeks after getting braces.

A few short weeks later I was over my initial shock of having braces on. I started seeing movement and that is when I really got excited.

Now it is just the norm and no big deal.

You will do fine. 10 months will fly by.

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

brooks

#3 Post by brooks »

Bracesat57 wrote: I had cold feet and even questioned if I was doing the right thing for a few weeks after getting braces.
I am so glad you said this because I have had mine for about 4 days now and it still feels odd and not quite 'right.' Its still very weird to leave my house and talk to people with them on my teeth, almost like I should take them off before I go out into the world. I know that it will get easier, I'm just still waiting.

10 months will really fly by! You're lucky to have such a short sentence!

LillyS

#4 Post by LillyS »

I'm getting mine in just over 6 hours. Slightly nervous to say the least now

oimysizex

#5 Post by oimysizex »

getting braces was the best thing i've ever done, I am 1 week post lower jaw surgery and ive really seen what the braces have actually done to my teeth.

You will NOT regret getting them, they change your life :)

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Nozzelnut

#6 Post by Nozzelnut »

I didn't have enough time to get cold feet. I thought my appointment was for spacers (only) and they snuck on my upper front braces at the same time. Kind of locked me in to getting treatment.

No last meal, not anxiety about, just sitting in the chair to having upper braces in about 30 minutes. I think it's actually a good way to do it for adults. I'm not sure I would have gone back because of the pain from the spacers...
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

SunshineRay

#7 Post by SunshineRay »

I put off getting braces until I was almost 40. Now with them off for months.....the only thing I regret is not doing it sooner!

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

Second guessing and anxiety are normal in my opinion. There are few among us who looked forward to the event and never looked back, but I think they must be the exception.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

msw

#9 Post by msw »

I did not have cold feet... I was nervous, but I had become so disappointed by my bite and overall alignment that I was ready. HOWEVER -- I did have major "buyers' remorse" once they were on. It took me so long to get used to them, and the ceramic brackets were so bulky, that I seriously considered marching in to my orthodontist's office and demanding that he replace all the ceramic brackets with metal ones. Ha!

Almost 15 months in, and my only regret is that I didn't get braces sooner! :tingrin:

stephcsun

#10 Post by stephcsun »

I missed a few appointments because I wasn't sure..but I am glad I finally got them on
I can relate to what you are saying about the ceramic braces being bulky...If I could go back I would at least get metal in the bottom.

I just have 1 month with them on ...and I really hope time flies haha

mysticgirl916

#11 Post by mysticgirl916 »

I was a bit nervous just before I got my braces, but the hygenist that put them on talked me all the way through the process so I'd feel a bit more comfortable. 18 months and several adjustments (and an extraction) later I'm quite used to them now

BraceFace2115

#12 Post by BraceFace2115 »

Well there on!
Tomorrow is day 4! I think I'm coping well and already seen movement which is postive.
My mouth feels uncomfortable and I still can't bite or chew because my teeth feel sore and brused!
Hoping this feeling fades rapidly ;-)

KayKay

#13 Post by KayKay »

Congrats on getting them on. I'm following you a few days. Mine went on Jan 21 and I'm so sore and quite miserable (day 2). Can't wait to fast forward. Just to not hurt would be a good thing.
Looking forward to the new smile,
KayKay