confused regarding braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

damien10

confused regarding braces

#1 Post by damien10 »

So today I attended my second consultation. However today was basically the opposite to what I first got told. I don't know exactly what my situation is, but I have like a 9mm overjet and a little open bite. At my first appointment I was told that he would be able to make a huge improvement using the damon system, and he didn't recommend invisslign. At my second consultation this morming, I was told that he can't push the teeth back using braces because of the cantilever bridge, and he recommended invisslign. But he sed that it would only straighten the teeth and not reduce the gap. He then sed it's one of them things I would have to learn to live with, one that I can't change!

Now I feel like the second guy has just tried his very hardest to sell me invisslign. What do you guys thi.k to this, I'm so confused to how the two opinions can be so diffrent. I have now wasted no time and re booked to see the first artho again, I want anwser to how far he thinks he can push the teeth back and if indeed it can be achieved.

The first artho recommended Damon all clear top and bottom for £4000

The second recommended invisslign lite for £2500

Featheryy1221

Re: confused regarding braces

#2 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I had three completely different plans when I went to three different orthodontists. One wanted to use Damon's and pull out a lower tooth, one wanted to pull 4 premolars, and the other wanted to use an expander then braces. Each one made their case why I should choose their option. Sometimes that's just what happens. Each ortho has a different idea what to do. You just have to decide which plan is right for you and which one you like best.

You could visit another ortho to see what they suggest, but don't be too surprised if you get different plan from them.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

damien10

#3 Post by damien10 »

[quote="Featheryy1221"]I had three completely different plans when I went to three different orthodontists. One wanted to use Damon's and pull out a lower tooth, one wanted to pull 4 premolars, and the other wanted to use an expander then braces. Each one made their case why I should choose their option. Sometimes that's just what happens. Each ortho has a different idea what to do. You just have to decide which plan is right for you and which one you like best.

You could visit another ortho to see what they suggest, but don't be too surprised if you get different plan from them.[/quote]
That does make sense. I thought with Damon one of the main selling points is the no need for extractions. I'm just about to leave to see the first one again. And see how far he thinks he can shift them.

Featheryy1221

#4 Post by Featheryy1221 »

No, some people still have to get extractions with Damons. The whole "no extractions" thing is just their marketing.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

plugnickel69

#5 Post by plugnickel69 »

You always have to get past the marketing and past the dentists (and some orthodontists) who use invisalign as an easy way to make a buck. Go to a 3rd or 4th consult with different orthos, then make a more informed decision. Many of us have had the experience of completely different takes on and approaches to our cases. Pick the ortho who gives you a treatment plan that makes sense, that you can live with, that should give you the desired result. Moreover, pick the ortho that you feel most comfortable with who is competent and who you can discuss your progress with without fear.

daveq

#6 Post by daveq »

I would be weary of the second consult and would talk to another orthodontist for a third opinion.

I was almost fast-talked into invisalign by a dentist, until I did lots of research and talked to a couple of orthodontists. The dentist barely even examined me! He did, however, have his staff thoroughly go over all of the financing options!
The ortho that I chose to go with thoroughly explained what he could accomplish with insalign and with braces. He said he could do either, but could accomplish much more for me with braces. In the end, I chose to go with braces (Damon).

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

If you read Damon's marketing materials carefully, they talk about "many cases" not needing extractions. This is the case no matter what brand or type of bracket you have.

There's nothing magic about Damons; they are nothing more than a (heavily marketed) brand of self-ligating bracket, marketed with a particular archform (which can be used with any brand bracket if it's appropriate.)

daveq

#8 Post by daveq »

Agreed, sirwired. The particular brand isn't critical.

BeautifulDisaster

#9 Post by BeautifulDisaster »

Like Featheryy1221, I went on three consultations and had different treatment plans for each one.

Personally, I would be wary of invisalign if you want the best results. If you are committed to braces, you may as well get the best possible results.

A third consultation might help ease your mind.

27 year old female
Traditional braces: clear uppers, metal lowers
Expected treatment time: 24 months
Brace story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=47574