Gap keeps reopening

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pearlies

Gap keeps reopening

#1 Post by pearlies »

Have a gap that keeps opening between two teeth in the front despite best efforts to keep it closed, eg threading. Tongue push is apparently causing this

I'm supposed to be nearing end of treatment, and I don't understand how this will get resolved. If the solution is wearing a retainer every night for the rest of my life...forget it! Let's get real.

Can I fill it in with bonding? I don't think I'll take well to gluing a perm retainer behind those teeth - tongue already feels awfully crowded.

Kinda bummed :roll:

mapleleafman888

Re: Gap keeps reopening

#2 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Besides bonding or retainers I don't think there are too many more options...maybe veneers which will ruin 2 good teeth because of all the shaving they need to do to fit them...maybe crowns but same deal...

I've seen photo's online where they bond a flat metal piece on the backside of the front teeth (only the front 2).
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

I hate to break it to you, but it's pretty routine for ortho patients to be wearing a retainer at least a few nights a week for life. It all depends on what movements were made and how susceptible they are to relapse. You'll have to ask your ortho what the retention plan is.

My wife has been out of braces for about forty years and wears a set of retainers (not the originals, of course!) a few nights a week and they feel tight every time.

I don't expect I'll ever be totally free of retainers either.

pearlies

#4 Post by pearlies »

Hi everyone,

My fear is that I'm going to be told I'll need to wear my retainers every night for the rest of my life - which would be completely impractical. Will my teeth stop moving around so quickly? I can deal with a few nights a week though.

The flat wire across the lower teeth is an interesting idea...as opposed to a perm retainer across all six lower teeth. And I guess if all else fails...veneer the lower to compensate for space huh?

Just working my head around options...I so wish I had more space in that lower arch already. Has anyone faced veneering/bonding right after braces to close gaps? How would that work with retention, et al?

THANKS GUYS! You are life savers!

MrsCharisma

#5 Post by MrsCharisma »

Please don't take this the wrong way but...

You're willing to change your entire tooth structure for veneers but unwilling to wear a retainer every night?

Many of us (me included!) are on 'nighttime for life' retainer wear. Do you really want to go through the time, aggravation and cost of braces and then not retain your position?

Veneers won't stop your teeth from shifting so then what??

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

mapleleafman888

#6 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Like sirwired said, retention is something that needs to be taken care of for life...teeth are always moving and shifting; there is no permanent way to keep your braces results with out retainers...

If you have a look at page 5 of my thread you can see I have gaps between my upper laterals and canines which will be permanent, so yes I kind of know how you are feeling. My ortho said either bonding or veneers will have to be done to fix the space and I am begrudging both solutions...I'd rather leave it open to be honest as my main concern for braces was getting my bite fixed, anyways. And...of course I will have to wear retainers for the rest of life if I want to keep my results.

These are not my teeth or retainer but this is what I am talking about...they also can do the full anterior ones as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

beckyboo0205

#7 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Wearing a retainer a few nights a week sounds more impractical to me than every single night. I think it would be hard to remember to wear it only a few times a week. Plus, you ARE sleeping. How much difference does a retainer make?

I just got mine off and too had a gap between my top two front teeth. They put a permanent retainer just between those two teeth, which I wasn't expecting but it doesn't really take up much space. I'd say it's a pretty good option.