My 4th Christmas with braces and I'm 25- I want them off!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rm2014

My 4th Christmas with braces and I'm 25- I want them off!

#1 Post by rm2014 »

Hello everyone

I'm 25 and have had braces for 3 years and 3 months. It is actually my second time having them; I had them as a teen for 2 years and lost my retainer so got them again as an adult :(

I finished paying the orthodontic fees 6 months ago as per the contract, so now my Orthodontist is keeping me going out of her own accord until she reaches perfection. However my braces are really starting to bother me now and my new job, and I want to get them off. My teeth are straight and ofcourse I will not lose my retainers this time.

Can I just tell her I want them off? I see her every 6 weeks and next week is my appointment- thinking of phoning tomorrow and saying I would like it to be my last one???

MrsCharisma

Re: My 4th Christmas with braces and I'm 25- I want them off

#2 Post by MrsCharisma »

It's my opinion that you CAN. My Ortho was going for perfection and we spent over 6 months trying to move one tooth. I was ready to tell him I quit and of course that tooth moved so here I am being debanded in a little over a week.

Just talk with her next time and tell her you are ready to finish treatment but also know that you will have to accept what may be less than ideal results.

Good luck!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Featheryy1221

#3 Post by Featheryy1221 »

3 years is definitely a while, so I can completely understand your frustration. As long as your bite isn't majorly off, I don't see why you couldn't talk to her about it. I would ask at your appointment why she's keeping you in braces to see what shes trying to fix (in a nice way of course). Perhaps she's trying to fix a minor bite issue or maybe she's trying to fix tiny gaps?

In any case, you could let her know how you feel about your teeth and your expectations, so that you could both get on some agreement. Ultimately, it's your teeth and if you're satisfied with how they look, you are allowed to say you want to be done.

Best of luck to you!

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

mapleleafman888

#4 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Hey, I can only imagine what 3+ years in braces would be like, so sorry to hear that. I'm 26 and spending my 2nd Christmas with braces!

Like the previous poster said, if your issues aren't of functional concern than I'm sure you could push to get your braces off.

Best to you.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

Matilda

#5 Post by Matilda »

This year's Christmas will be my 3rd Christmas with braces! :roll: :shock:

LeedsTiger

#6 Post by LeedsTiger »

This will be my fourth Christmas wearing braces. After my adjustment visit this week I'm really struggling to chew food. So glad I chose to stay at home in London on my own. Could not face the prospect of watching others enjoy their Christmas meal :(