clear ceramic braces vs metal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cara041083

clear ceramic braces vs metal

#1 Post by cara041083 »

Good Morning. I am getting braces in a month. I wanted to bet the clear ceramic braces, but now I am hearing things about staining. I am a big coffee drinker and I wanted to ask opinions on the clear ceramic braces vs getting metal.

plugnickel69

Re: clear ceramic braces vs metal

#2 Post by plugnickel69 »

The ceramic brackets don't stain, the rubber ligatures do, especially the clear ones. They can use steel ligatures to tie in the wire to the brackets if staining becomes a concern.

ashgerg

#3 Post by ashgerg »

I have the ceramic ones and I am a BIG coffee drinker as well. I just drink mine with a straw and it isn't really an issue. Yeah, the ligatures are what stains. I get the 'pearl' colored ones, and they don't stain AS BAD as the clear ones. The day before my 1st adjustment (when they were stained the worst due to it being 6 weeks) you couldn't really tell they were stained unless you were really close to me. My fiance said he could only tell if he was looking for it.

If you are worried about it, try the pearl or clear ones they would usually use first and you can always change to the wire ties or even a color, if you would like. I've heard some people use the 'smoke' colored ones with the clear brackets as well.

Good Luck!

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

There are also self-ligating ceramic braces available. 3M (Clarity SL), Ormco (Damon), and I'm sure others, have them. No ligs, no staining.

From what I've seen here, it isn't coffee that you have to worry about... the one everybody complains about being insta-stain is curry powder. I'm going to make a guess that you also want to avoid Tumeric. (It's the bright yellow spice that makes yellow mustard eye-popping yellow, and is in other spice mixtures.)

Beverages high in tannins (hot tea and red wine) may also be a problem.

cara041083

#5 Post by cara041083 »

Thank you everyone! I am so ready to start this process. I just want to make the best of the two years I have to ware them.

Uglybetty1

#6 Post by Uglybetty1 »

I have ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom and I'm a big tea drinker. The wire that connects all my brackets together stains yellow quite quickly, but it's a very faint yellow colour. I keep away from currys!

Does anyone have any ideas for non staining food? My diets really boring now!

jaime

#7 Post by jaime »

I have ceramic braces on my "social 6" teeth and get the clear ligs for them.

I drink black coffee like it's going out of style and I don't bother with a straw. Of course the ligs are stained, but they will stain whether you drink coffee or not. I personally don't understand what everyone is talking about with noticeable staining, that has not been my experience at all. The only thing I could see that was stained was the bonding glue, so I had the ortho assistant drill off what they could.

I eat and drink all sorts of dyed and/or dark foods and I don't think my ceramic braces look any different from the day I got them. Maybe my experience isn't the norm, but I don't think there's anything to worry about.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

bjohnson207

#8 Post by bjohnson207 »

I have ceramic on all top and metal on bottom. I always get Pearl ligs. Staining has never been a problem really for me. I think I am the only one who notices the discoloration. I have drank coffee every single day some weeks I use a straw some I don't and I cant really tell the difference. Usually I can see some staining on the sides where I chew but that will happen no matter what. Most people don't even notice that I have braces at all so I quite worrying about staining.

When im in the bathroom with my face three inches from the mirror with the bright lights on......... we all do it...... they yes may look a bit yellow.... but no one other than me will be three inches away from my mouth examining my brackets for staining..... hubby has ulterior motives when he is that close... :wink:

NeilH

#9 Post by NeilH »

I went for metal brackets top and bottom and haven't regretted it for a second. Staining can occur with any elastics, it's just less noticeable with metal brackets.

Namaste

#10 Post by Namaste »

Awesome! Congrats! I have the traditional metal braces as well. Had them for 2 weeks and a day. Happy to hear your on your way to a beautiful smile! :jump:

touchofhiddencharm

#11 Post by touchofhiddencharm »

I chose ceramic on top and metal on the bottom. No one noticed I got braces. I had to tell everyone. That's what I like. And they're pretty much invisible in all of my selfies. Lol. I get staining on my bands when I eat teriyaki, honey mustard, and soy sauce (all look light yellow). Ketchup and spaghetti sauce and bbq sauce don't have much effect especially when I brush after. I get pearls also. And if your ortho is close they should change them no problem if you have a big event or holiday coming up :)

Oh and Ive gotten colored ones on my clear before and it looks kind of cool too :) whatever floats your boat

nnaatt

#12 Post by nnaatt »

I'm leaning toward ceramic on top and metal on bottom. This made me feel better about the potential staining!

Felina Grimm

#13 Post by Felina Grimm »

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one here with an all-metal set. I'm having too much fun with picking lig colors every month. I wouldn't wear white nor clear ones as I love my coffee and dark foods.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

nw6504

#14 Post by nw6504 »

I have ceramic braces on the top front 8, and metal on the rest of the top and metal on the bottom. I like getting the "smoke" rubber bands, they don't stain that bad. I drink coffee regularly. You can tell a difference when the new rubber rings are on, they look cleaner but I don't see it as a big deal, pretty much only you are going to notice. I go in every 6-8 weeks. I can't wait to get them off though!

MrsCharisma

#15 Post by MrsCharisma »

I have used pearl ligs nearly every visit; but I go every 4 weeks. So it was never TOO bad. Now that I've been going every 2 weeks I have just been throwing caution to the wind! :)

The only thing that I worried was ACTUALLY staining my brackets is when I tried to sneak and eat a Twizzler! I know, I shouldn't be eating that anyway. So I never tried to eat another one :)

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]