Gappy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Namaste

Gappy

#1 Post by Namaste »

I have a medium size gap in between top 2 teeth. While doing my research ( on YouTube):) I noticed that a lot of patients with braces had to undergo a fectectomy or whatever. It's a surgical procedure when the dentist hack out the gum in between you gap in order for it to close. However, this frightens me! ALOT! I was wondering if I would have to have one! My orthodontist didn't mention it yet. I have only had my brace babies for 1 week and 2 days tho.
Have anyone in my metal mouth community had this procedure? I know I pronounced and spelled it incorrectly probably... :) But thankyou! By the way I'm 31 , so I've had this gap for my whole life. Will that make it harder to close? I might have a crabby gappy on my hands lol. Maybe because I have had it all my life it's hard to imagine it gone.

MrsCharisma

Re: Gappy

#2 Post by MrsCharisma »

I had a 5mm gap that closed completely, no frenectomy needed. So you might,but you might not. Don't worry about it too much.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Namaste

#3 Post by Namaste »

I'm just now able to see your pics I was a new user. They are fab! I'm really excited about my diastema closing! :pinkbraces: I'm not sure how to post pics on here. I want to document my journey as well mrs. Charisma

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

If you needed a frenectomy, I'm sure you ortho would have mentioned it. Gaps have many different causes, and most don't require a frenectomy.

If you do need one, as far as dental surgeries go, it's not a big deal. The soft tissues of the mouth heal quite quickly as your body needs to keep everything sealed up tight against infection ASAP.

Namaste

#5 Post by Namaste »

Here is a look
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beckyboo0205

#6 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I didn't need one but i was sorta worried about it right when my gap finally closed. The skin was so sore and swollen and i thought it might stay like that but got better.

Namaste

#7 Post by Namaste »

I hope my :tingrin: teeth look as good as yours when I'm done

MrsCharisma

#8 Post by MrsCharisma »

You've got such nice teeth they will be absolutely fantastic when it's all said and done!!!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Namaste

#9 Post by Namaste »

Mrscharisma,

Omg that is huge coming from you! Thanks doll. :-** I can't wait to see improvement. :D I have more pics up on our braces story forum.
31 with braces and diastema.

Namaste

#10 Post by Namaste »

2weeks 4 days in!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

touchofhiddencharm

#11 Post by touchofhiddencharm »

I had the frenectomy done. You can check out my gap in my story. It's all closed up now. The frenectomy didnt hurt one bit (you get numbed). It was very fast too maybe 6 mins. I didn't even know he was done. I had a little bleeding longer than normal because I didn't read the instructions that told me not to rinse or spit for 24 hours and did it twice lol oops, but it took about four days to fully heal. He took the stitches out in a week because they didn't dissolve on their own and I went back for my two week follow up and he said it was all healed and I didn't need to go back. I was afraid about not being able to eat but nothing stopped me. Besides, you don't eat with your top gums haha just don't bite into anything, like chips or someting that could get lodged in the "hole".