Using whitening gel with essix retainer?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fangsbegone

Using whitening gel with essix retainer?

#1 Post by fangsbegone »

Hi Guys

Does anyone else use their essix retainer ( the clear one ) for whitening ?

I'm getting debonded in a few days and was thinking of using my retainer with some gels but was worried about them damaging the retainer in some way

Thanks !

SunshineRay

Re: Using whitening gel with essix retainer?

#2 Post by SunshineRay »

I would ask your Ortho but my guess would be no. I have Essix and the water cant be really hot when you clean them plus you can only leave them in the cleansing product for a short time. To me that means they are really sensitive.

Snowglobe32

#3 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I was told I could use my essix with the gel whitening...not sure if it works because I have not tried it.

I would ask your ortho just to be safe.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

My ortho used the Essix molds to make whitening trays. Ordinarily an Essix won't have the small "pouches" meant to accommodate the gel.