Jaw osteotomy relapse???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mybabysxxxx

Jaw osteotomy relapse???

#1 Post by Mybabysxxxx »

Hi all
I had a jaw osteotomy when I was 17 nearly 18 as I had a terrible overbite was always bullied at school because of it I am now 26 and my jaw has gone back the jaw I'm really not happy I'm so depressed because of it I hate looking at myself in the mirror because all I see is my teeth sticking out!
Has anyone had this and what can be done about it? I don't want braces again at my age my teeth are still straight from my braces before it's just my overbite that has come back

mmkay

Re: Jaw osteotomy relapse???

#2 Post by mmkay »

Mybabysxxxx wrote:I don't want braces again at my age
It's a case of tough titties, any proper solution is going to require braces.

Personally I think visibly bad teeth with braces look better than visibly bad teeth without braces, and should result in greater confidence.

bmueller

Re: Jaw osteotomy relapse???

#3 Post by bmueller »

Sounds strange to me. They shouldn't have done surgery on your jaw until you were done growing so that it couldn't relapse. How much relapse are we talking about? It might be able to be treated with something like clear aligners, but at least from my experience, an overbite above 3-4 mm requires surgery to be fixed properly. Good luck