Braced at 39 and so happy...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Azul

Braced at 39 and so happy...

#1 Post by Azul »

Hi there!
I finally got my braces one month ago, clear braces on top. Next month I will get clear braces on the bottom. I am so happy with them, no pain at all! I will have to wear them for 18 months. Last thursday I got my first tightening and I feel really well, I can eat almost any food. I hope the rest of the treatment will be as good now! I didnt tell any one I was getting them, just appeard at home with them. I surprised my wife and children. As per my wife she accepted them well, as she new I needed them. My children are small so it didnt impact them too much.

tammyd2

Re: Braced at 39 and so happy...

#2 Post by tammyd2 »

How exciting, all the best for your journey! Hope its a good experience, with amazing results.

I also haven't told anyone, luckily most of my friends work out of town so I haven't seen them yet (I'm two weeks into it), hoping for results before they see me :)

Good luck, keep us updated!
30 year old from Cape Town, South Africa.
Read my story: http://myreason2smile.wordpress.com

Azul

#3 Post by Azul »

[quote="tammyd2"]How exciting, all the best for your journey! Hope its a good experience, with amazing results.

I also haven't told anyone, luckily most of my friends work out of town so I haven't seen them yet (I'm two weeks into it), hoping for results before they see me :)

Good luck, keep us updated![/quote]

Thank you! Good luck to you also and congratulations for your blog!

mellyd107

#4 Post by mellyd107 »

How wonderful for you! I plan on not telling any one either besides close family, anxious to see friends reactions. Good luck on your journey and hope all works out well.

TheProfessor

#5 Post by TheProfessor »

Welcome to the club! I also had braces put on at 39 and didn't tell anyone. It was fun to see people's reactions. You can almost see the wheels turning in their heads as they try to decide what (if anything) to say :-#)
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

Ridingboots

#6 Post by Ridingboots »

It is great to hear your journey has been so good so far. I believe society is certainly more excepting of people in braces these days.

I was the opposite to you and told people I see regularly that I was getting braces and many where excited for me :mrgreen: but I certainly could not hide my teeth or braces as my lips don't close naturally because of my overbite.

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

Azul

#7 Post by Azul »

[quote="TheProfessor"]Welcome to the club! I also had braces put on at 39 and didn't tell anyone. It was fun to see people's reactions. You can almost see the wheels turning in their heads as they try to decide what (if anything) to say :-#)[/quote]

Its funny to see peoples reactions, some talk about it and some dont say anything!

Azul

#8 Post by Azul »

[quote="Ridingboots"]It is great to hear your journey has been so good so far. I believe society is certainly more excepting of people in braces these days.

I was the opposite to you and told people I see regularly that I was getting braces and many where excited for me :mrgreen: but I certainly could not hide my teeth or braces as my lips don't close naturally because of my overbite.[/quote]

I prefered not to tell anyone because I didnt want to hear their opinions about it, I thought they would discourage me, I felt so motivated that I just wanted to go for it!!

SunshineRay

#9 Post by SunshineRay »

Good for you! I was the same age and had them on 12 months (12-18mo estimate in the beginning) and I am sooooo so glad I finally went through with it. Being able to smile freely was worth a year of minor hassle and embarrassment. (me personally, I know most arent embarrassed)

Azul

#10 Post by Azul »

Yesterday was my two month visit to the ortho. He changed the upper wire and placed the lower ceramic braces and the molar build ups. I had to use some wax for the lower braces but so far Im fine. The worst part are the build ups, its so uncomfortable to chew with them....

Felina Grimm

#11 Post by Felina Grimm »

Gratz! :-D

On the last adjustment I had molar buildups put on as well because after some shifting, my two top teeth were right on top of the bottom and I kept smacking them whenever I talked or chew. Chewing feels a bit awkward.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Azul

#12 Post by Azul »

Today, after 12 days I had to get an additional set of molar buid ups because Im a teeth grinder and for that reason they had almost disappeard!

Felina Grimm

#13 Post by Felina Grimm »

Try the Shock Doctor braces mouthguard. I use that on the bottom teeth apart from the buildups.
Sentence: 24 months, months served: 35 months
Traditional Full-Metal Brackets
Top: 9/9/2014
Bottom: 10/15/2014
Debonded: 8/7/2017

Azul

#14 Post by Azul »

Felina Grimm wrote:Try the Shock Doctor braces mouthguard. I use that on the bottom teeth apart from the buildups.
Thanks, I will try it!