Advice: Bands on teeth with crowns?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracesat57

Advice: Bands on teeth with crowns?

#1 Post by Bracesat57 »

I just got my braces on my top teeth. My ortho put the bands on my lower molars which are crowns so he could put braces on them in a few weeks.

They did not fit correctly and had to take them off after a few days. Now he is going to cut the bands on one and bond the other one only to the outside of the tooth.

Has anyone else have problems with bands on crowns? Advice?

plugnickel69

Re: Advice: Bands on teeth with crowns?

#2 Post by plugnickel69 »

I had a minor problem with two lower first molars that had crowns. They bonded brackets on each one. A few days later one came off, then about a week later the other side came off. There was not enough space to fit bands, so they put in spacers, but reapplied the bonded brackets again. They sandblasted again each time.

It turned out that the bonded brackets stayed in place the second time and I never needed to be banded.

Bracesat57

#3 Post by Bracesat57 »

Thanks for your info. My ortho said he will bond one and use a smaller band on the other one.
Glad to hear it can work out with crowns.

Uptown Girl

#4 Post by Uptown Girl »

My lower molars have crowns so the ortho put bands on them "with cement". I didn't think they would fit but the spacers I wore for 10 days before did the trick. My three front top teeth are also crowns and as I have ceramic brackets on the top of course the brackets on the three crowns fell off in five hours! When the ortho put the brackets back on I was not confident they would stay but they are still there nine days later. He must have used different glue. If they do come off i may have to have metal bands on three front teeth. Eeeek!

plugnickel69

#5 Post by plugnickel69 »

Uptown Girl wrote:My lower molars have crowns so the ortho put bands on them "with cement". I didn't think they would fit but the spacers I wore for 10 days before did the trick. My three front top teeth are also crowns and as I have ceramic brackets on the top of course the brackets on the three crowns fell off in five hours! When the ortho put the brackets back on I was not confident they would stay but they are still there nine days later. He must have used different glue. If they do come off i may have to have metal bands on three front teeth. Eeeek!
Back in the day they used metal bands on every tooth. They used to fabricate the hardware in the office. First they'd use a rectangular piece of metal and fit it as a band, then solder it together. They would then solder the bracket on to the band, and then cement it in. What takes a half hour or so these days used to take months, many appointments, and in my case, spacers between every tooth. They used brass wire for me. No rubber spacers. (late 1950s).

Hope your brackets will hold on the crowns!

oldfart

#6 Post by oldfart »

My concern is this. I have bands on the crowns on my molars, and the height is being changed. So I now have tooth exposed below the crown if that makes sense. I assume I will have to have them replaced. Just not sure if the gum level will change and grow back over the exposed area of tooth.. if that makes sense.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Bracesat57

#7 Post by Bracesat57 »

The problems I had with the bands on my lower crowned molars is that the teeth are much smaller on the bottom part of the tooth. This left a gap between the tooth and the band. I thought this was normal and I would just get use to it. After ripping my tongue apart for a few days I went back and they said they didn't fit correctly. There should be no gap. They took them off and I go back Monday and they are fitting new ones to the teeth. Hopefully it is not too involved. Will keep you posted.

On the good side I am already seeing improvement with my crooked top teeth. My friends have all started noticing the improvement! I am so excited to get the braces placed on my lower teeth.

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

Bracesat57

#8 Post by Bracesat57 »

Success. I got the bands on my lower crown molars and everything went great. They cut one band very short and the other one is just the bracket on the outside cemented to the tooth.

Now I am just getting use to the rackets on my lower teeth. Pretty sore right now.

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016