is it much easier to close your lips after debracing?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

is it much easier to close your lips after debracing?

#1 Post by Anna5 »

Hello! I will be debraced soon. I have ceramic braces. At the moment my lips don't close naturally, I always have to consciously close them, and I am worried that this will be the same after my braces are removed.....
I was wondering, is it MUCH easier to close your lips after the braces are removed or is there hardly any difference?
If my lip incompetence doesn't get any better after the braces are removed, my surgeon suggested a genio to help my lips closing, but I am a bit scared for this (I definitely don't want a pointy or witchy chin!).

Featheryy1221

Re: is it much easier to close your lips after debracing?

#2 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Quite a few of my friends had difficulty closing their lips with braces on, myself included (but I've had that problem since i was young). When my friends got their braces off, their lips met normally when they were at rest. I know when I got my expander out i thought it was weird, because my lips finally met together as they should and I didn't feel or see them being slightly open constantly. With braces, now they don't close.

Now I can't say for sure that will be the case for you, but you have to figure the brackets naturally make it so your lips can't close properly or as easily as before. I would think when they're removed, your lips will close as they should. :) Or at least close.

If not, and it makes you self conscious, then look into the surgery.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

kiligeorge

#3 Post by kiligeorge »

I have a little bit of lip incompetence too (made worse by braces), and I asked the oral surgeon I had a consult with about jaw surgery if a genio would help with the lip incompetence. He thought it might actually make things worse with the lip incompetence... though he had never done a genio for that reason alone. If you decide to consider it more seriously I would make sure the surgeon understands a big part of your motivation for the surgery is to fix the lip incompetence.

I hope your lips close easier after the braces come off, I will be interested to hear how you feel. I have related a lot to your posts so far, as I also have an open bite and am planning to avoid surgery.
Braced 7/30/14, upper and lower ceramics. Treatment time 20-24 months. Treating an open bite.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Speaking for myself, my braces always "pooched" my lips out just a little bit. After the braces came off, it wasn't a problem any more.

plugnickel69

#5 Post by plugnickel69 »

Did you have lip incontinence before braces?

Anna5

#6 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

Thanks for all your replies. I think I just have to see how my lips will close after debanding. And yes, I had some lip incompetence before braces, so I expect the same after braces.
I am doing all kinds of lip exercises now to train the muscles of my lip, hopefully this works.
And if not, I think I will just see whether I can live with this 'problem', or consider surgery to fix this. I will definitely ask my surgeon about how much the surgery/ genio can help with lip incompetence and if he cannot guarantee me anything, then I won't do the surgery.

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

Anna, do you have any interest in music? Playing an instrument such a woodwind or brass (I'm partial to trumpet) would definitely build up the musculature and your hubby will find you extra-kissable. Everyone knows trumpet SPAMMERS LIKE ME are the best kissers. :gavel:
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Kipepeo

#8 Post by Kipepeo »

djspeece wrote:Anna, do you have any interest in music? Playing an instrument such a woodwind or brass (I'm partial to trumpet) would definitely build up the musculature and your hubby will find you extra-kissable. Everyone knows trumpet SPAMMERS LIKE ME are the best kissers. :gavel:
I have to agree with Dan's assertion since this trumpet player kisses me!! 8)

Anna5

#9 Post by Anna5 »

ha ha, that is funny! No, but playing trumpet is definitely not my thing unfortunately, I can't even read music notes!