44 yrs old, got braces yesterday so far so good

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Palua143

44 yrs old, got braces yesterday so far so good

#1 Post by Palua143 »

I got my top braces put on yesterday, ceramic clear, I was expecting it to hurt, so far no pain, just a mild headache that aleve took care of and some pressure. My gums are a little tender when biting and brushing but not bad. I go next month and get bottoms on, I got to have a tooth pulled before I go. Most annoying part so far is food getting stuck but I bought a water pik and that helps. There was another lady age 41 getting braces same day as me and my orthodontist told me his oldest patient is 78! It's been just over 24 hrs and I am already starting to get used to them.

jhgsupra

Re: 44 yrs old, got braces yesterday so far so good

#2 Post by jhgsupra »

You'll get used to them pretty quickly. I'm 54 and have mine for 3 weeks now but for some reason it seems like I've had them on longer (time seems to be dragging, its only been 3 weeks?!). Yes, eating is a chore and is quite a bit more work than it used to be. My mouth can get a bit sore at times and seems to be drier than prior to having braces. Not sure what to do about that but otherwise all is good.

Congratulations on your journey to a great smile!
Braced 17 Sep 2014. Estimated penance 18 months

Palua143

#3 Post by Palua143 »

Thank you! I too have experienced the dryness. Wonder if anyone has suggestions?

TheProfessor

#4 Post by TheProfessor »

Welcome to the club! The dry mouth will eventually get better, just keep drinking a lot of water. My lips were also really dry the first couple of months-I kept buying new brands of lip balm trying to find the perfect one! Now I rarely have dry lips, but my mouth gets drier when I talk a lot than it did pre-braces.
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

tammyd2

#5 Post by tammyd2 »

Power to you! And all the best

Bracesat57

#6 Post by Bracesat57 »

Best of luck to you! I got my clear braces on 3 weeks ago. I was so nervous cause of my age but my ortho and his staff have been so wonderful. Everyone has been so supportive. I am glad I started this journey and I am sure you will be too!

Lorianne

#7 Post by Lorianne »

congrats and good luck Paula!

SunshineRay

#8 Post by SunshineRay »

Good luck! You wont ever regret this decision.

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

Good luck Paula. It seems every ortho has an adult patient in their 70's or 80's -- but has anyone ever seen one :wink: ? Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Nelly13

#10 Post by Nelly13 »

I'm 43 and got mine on 3 weeks ago. Ceramic on the top front six, metal on the rest. I still feel real self-conscious when I smile, I need to get over that. Yes, eating can be a chore and then cleaning them after...a lot of work. I have also been having the dry mouth, it seems to be getting better, but like someone else mentioned, the more i talk, the dryer it gets. I guess we'll get used to it. My teeth really haven't been too sore. Lots of cuts, etc on the side of my cheeks, but it's getting better. Glad we get to take this journey (virtually) together :)