My buildups keep coming off!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeyKay1991

My buildups keep coming off!

#1 Post by HeyKay1991 »

So, I got buildups on both of my back molars to stop me from grinding. This was at my last adjustment, which was a week ago. One of them didn't even last 2 days and came off brushing my teeth. I went YESTERDAY and had it replaced. Today, the one on my other molar came off when I was eating. Has anybody had this problem? I'm already irritated because I arranged specially to go into work late yesterday and now today the other comes off!

Ambrosia80

Re: My buildups keep coming off!

#2 Post by Ambrosia80 »

I used to grind in my sleep, and when I got the buildups, it got worse. I was grinding and clenching like crazy! I was breaking my buildups and thought I was going to break my teeth as well. I just kept getting them replaced. :?
Damon braces- ceramic uppers, metal lowers

sentence: 15-18 months (Sept.-Dec. 2014)

HeyKay1991

#3 Post by HeyKay1991 »

I went and got my buildup replaced this morning...I was talking on the phone at work and it already came off AGAIN! what else can be done if they keep coming off?

Ambrosia80

#4 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Wow. I wonder why that keeps happening! I guess call your ortho's office and say they keep coming off and ask if there's anything else they can use instead of the buildups. :huh:

Ambrosia80

#5 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Or maybe you could just stop using them period. Is grinding the only reason you have them? I know my grinding stopped on its own after having my braces for awhile. Maybe yours could, too.

Ambrosia80

#6 Post by Ambrosia80 »

(I had buildups because I had a crossbite.)

mapleleafman888

#7 Post by mapleleafman888 »

I had molar build ups and they cracked off a couple times. The ortho decided to put those bite turbos on instead, which one of them came off too. The jaws produce a huge amount of force and all those build ups are is some plastic resin type material which is attached to the tooth by some bonding agent.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

HeyKay1991

#8 Post by HeyKay1991 »

The buildups are for grinding right now. I have chipped several teeth from grinding at night because I'm hitting on teeth that I haven't before. Ortho says buildups won't stay on because I have fillings in the teeth that the buildups are on. They put a buildup on another tooth but it hasn't helped one bit. I'm still hitting on one particular tooth constantly and it's so annoying.

sparkles

#9 Post by sparkles »

I had buildups on twice, maybe three times I'm not sure, and hated them with a passion. The next time I was due to get more on because I apparently have a 'fierce bite' I refused so I was given a bite blocker plate instead...it's a removable appliance, takes a little bit of getting used to but is sooo much better than the lumps of cement.
Might be worth try :)