Nervous Newbie

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nelly13

Nervous Newbie

#1 Post by Nelly13 »

So I'm getting my braces on this Friday. I currently have 12 spacers in my teeth and I have been really sore from this. I am getting self ligating metals with ceramic on the top front 6. I can handle all of that. What concerns me is getting upper and lower lingual arches (inside arch wires). Anyone experienced these babies!? I'm worried about the pain and how I'll speak. Thanks for any help

jaime

Re: Nervous Newbie

#2 Post by jaime »

There is a whole board dedicated to lingual braces :D

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=12
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Nelly13

#3 Post by Nelly13 »

Aren't lingual braces the braces that are on the inside of the teeth? That isn't what I was asking about - this is a wire that goes over the roof of my mouth with braces on the outside. Not sure if there is a name for it.

jaime

#4 Post by jaime »

Ohh, you're referring to a transpalatal arch wire (TPA). There are actually 2 current threads right now about them.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=47680
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46811

I actually have one, too. It's not painful or difficult to speak in my experience, anyway. It'll take some getting used to but it's not a big deal at all.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

arciedee

#5 Post by arciedee »

Are you referring to lingual arches or transpalatal wires? THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR., lingual arches are wires that run along the inside of the teeth, not across the palate. I had a lower lingual arch when I had my Carriere distalizers. It was attached to molar bands on my first molars and was designed to keep my lower teeth from shifting while those molars were used as the anchor point for my elastics.

It wasn't the most fun I've had in orthodontia, that's for sure, but it might be because of how mine fit. I was under the impression (sorry for the bad pun) that they were supposed to pretty much run along the inside surface of the teeth, but mine had a gap of a couple millimeters between the wire and the teeth and it made speech challenging. It certainly improved as I got used to having it there, but I never felt that my speech was particularly clear while I had it. It also caught a lot of food and was occasionally challenging to clean around. I didn't find it painful, however, just annoying.

Hope your experience goes well!