1 year down!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Featheryy1221

1 year down!

#1 Post by Featheryy1221 »

As of today, its been one year since getting started with treatment! :dance: :rawk:
So far this year journey has been kind of crazy at times, but I'm so glad I took the plunge. For any newbie or anyone unsure of whether or not they should do this, DO IT! Literally NO ONE cares if you have braces, and they honestly don't make comments about metal brackets at all. Braces are not as bad as some people make them out to be. And you're doing something to better yourself, so what can be better than that. :)

Anyway, here's to hoping i don't have to go through many more months. :) I'm anxious to see my brace-free teeth again!

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

Nozzelnut

Re: 1 year down!

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

Congrats Jaime!!
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

jhgsupra

#3 Post by jhgsupra »

Thanks for the encouragement! Comments like these are what made me stay the course as I was severely doubting whether or not I should have gotten braces. I'm 54 yrs old and only three weeks in but you're right in that no one cares. Last night we took our daughter out for dinner and it wasn't until half through the meal when I mentioned something about my braces that she remembered I even got them. Now me on the other hand, all I can feel is what seems like an enormous amount of food stuck in my braces and thinking that my smile looks like the grill of a pickup truck. But, that doesn't appear to be the case!

Only 17 months to go. Haven't even had them on long enough to warrant one of those time tickers that several folks have. Also need my profile to allow me to...

Featheryy1221

#4 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Thanks, Nozzelnut! :)
jhgsupra wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! Comments like these are what made me stay the course as I was severely doubting whether or not I should have gotten braces. I'm 54 yrs old and only three weeks in but you're right in that no one cares. Last night we took our daughter out for dinner and it wasn't until half through the meal when I mentioned something about my braces that she remembered I even got them. Now me on the other hand, all I can feel is what seems like an enormous amount of food stuck in my braces and thinking that my smile looks like the grill of a pickup truck. But, that doesn't appear to be the case!

Only 17 months to go. Haven't even had them on long enough to warrant one of those time tickers that several folks have. Also need my profile to allow me to...
Good luck with your treatment! :) I know that for me this year has gone by somewhat quickly. Hopefully it'll fly by for you. :)

mapleleafman888

#5 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Featheryy1221 wrote:As of today, its been one year since getting started with treatment! :dance: :rawk:
So far this year journey has been kind of crazy at times, but I'm so glad I took the plunge. For any newbie or anyone unsure of whether or not they should do this, DO IT! Literally NO ONE cares if you have braces, and they honestly don't make comments about metal brackets at all. Braces are not as bad as some people make them out to be. And you're doing something to better yourself, so what can be better than that. :)

Anyway, here's to hoping i don't have to go through many more months. :) I'm anxious to see my brace-free teeth again!
Congrats, welcome to club 1 year! I feel the same way on all your points!
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

Anna5

#6 Post by Anna5 »

Congratulations with your 1 year anniversary!!! And especially with the great improvement you have made in this year. I am very happy for you! I wish you very good luck with the remainder of your treatment and I hope you will get the dream smile you deserve!

Also thank you very much for all your support towards me during the past year, I really appreciate that!

Featheryy1221

#7 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Thanks Maple! The 1 year club seems like one of the best clubs. I'll be glad to get to the next club though: the retainer club. :)

Anna, thank you, I really appreciate it! :) I want to thank you for always being so kind to me and everyone else on here. :) You are always so supportive of everyone on here. I read your latest posts and saw that you've got a debrace date later this month, so I wish you all the best!! I'm so excited for you; your smile looks so amazing now. I know you don't always see that, but really it looks fantastic!

Lorianne

#8 Post by Lorianne »

Awesome! One year for me too oct 9th!

tammyd2

#9 Post by tammyd2 »

I'm only nearing the one week mark, can't wait for one year! :)

mapleleafman888

#10 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Featheryy1221 wrote:Thanks Maple! The 1 year club seems like one of the best clubs. I'll be glad to get to the next club though: the retainer club. :)

Anna, thank you, I really appreciate it! :) I want to thank you for always being so kind to me and everyone else on here. :) You are always so supportive of everyone on here. I read your latest posts and saw that you've got a debrace date later this month, so I wish you all the best!! I'm so excited for you; your smile looks so amazing now. I know you don't always see that, but really it looks fantastic!
Np well I've heard the retainer club is worse than the braces clubs but who knows, everything teeth related right now makes me cringe! hahaha :? :-+ :crazy:
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

cs2thecox

#11 Post by cs2thecox »

I just hit one year too!
Although I'm still in the post adjustment world of pain right now, after having things tightened up yesterday. I just tried to chew. Teeth say no :shock:

I'm stunned how far I've come in a year, and they will be totally closing my open bite without surgery after all - hurrah! (There's always some doubt about that in most patients.)

I definitely have one more "active" appointment to go (5 weeks time), but then the next one will be just to see how stable things are before working out a debrace and retention plan. I should be out by Easter which is pretty exciting :-*

Ridingboots

#12 Post by Ridingboots »

Congrats on your braces anniversary must be exciting and I bet there has been some very positive changes. Tomorrow I will be 1 week since I got braces and still working out how to eat with them but otherwise they are not to bad :tingrin:

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

clockworkprince

#13 Post by clockworkprince »

I'm also one year down! Congrats!

Featheryy1221

#14 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Thanks everyone!

Lorianne, cs2thecox, and clockworkprince congrats on your one year as well!
mapleleafman888 wrote:Np well I've heard the retainer club is worse than the braces clubs but who knows, everything teeth related right now makes me cringe! hahaha :? :-+ :crazy:
Haha. Yeah. Honestly I don't think wearing retainers will phase me. I know one of my friends keeps telling me how retainers are awful, but honestly I'd rather have straight teeth and deal with the retainers than deal with crooked teeth. :) It's all about perspective. :)
Totally get what you mean about the teeth related thing. lol. I used to be obsessed with every little thing and now I'm just like "This is so boring. Am I done yet?"
tammyd2 wrote:I'm only nearing the one week mark, can't wait for one year! :)
Ridingboots wrote:Congrats on your braces anniversary must be exciting and I bet there has been some very positive changes. Tomorrow I will be 1 week since I got braces and still working out how to eat with them but otherwise they are not to bad :tingrin:
Thank you both. Now you're both past one week so hopefully everything's still going well. So late congrats on getting started with your treatment! :) It goes by fast and you'll be really happy you did this! And yes, there's a HUGE difference from where I started to now as you can see in the photos below. lol. So much has changed and I love it. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NeilH

#15 Post by NeilH »

Congratulations on reaching the one year mark, will there be a year two celebration or will you jump ship and join the perpetual retainer club before then? Looking great by the way..