100% Elastic Wear challenge and Public Shaming thread.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

100% Elastic Wear challenge and Public Shaming thread.

#1 Post by oldfart »

I, OLDFART, do officially challenge myself to maintain 100% elastic wear as directed until my next appointment. Although I know there is about a 95% chance that I will fail, I am posting this so when I do fail, my orthodontically challenged peers on here can publically shame me. (all of this is in jest.)

Anyone else join me in this challenge? Please note, if you fail, you most post why.

I am officially 24/7 excluding eating and brushing. But prefer to keep them in while eating. And for eating, no excuses like you had dinner, but waited to get back home before you put them in. Nope. You have a ten minute leeway after eating. After that you better post in here your reason.

I would do a flossing challenge, but I know I would fail that one.

OF
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

roxie2519

Re: 100% Elastic Wear challenge and Public Shaming thread.

#2 Post by roxie2519 »

? I'm pretty sure you will get used to it... is just elastics

oldfart

#3 Post by oldfart »

I'm used to them.. just bored with them.. Had them for a year with the same setup for the last six months.

Just been slacking a bit in wearing them. Trying to get back into being good.

Just a post out of boredom and humor..

cs2thecox

#4 Post by cs2thecox »

I'm in.
I'm overnight only, but still rubbish at it.

My only exemption will have to be guy-related, at which point I'll have to share all the gossip with you lot :lol:

Caroline

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

Such an over-achiever :wink: .
I'm tired of them too. I try to whip them on as fast as possible these days, and they often end up flying off to snap a lip smartly, and all twisted around themselves. I'm hoping to get the braces off by the end of the year. So I have some time on how I can give any left-over elastics a fitting send-off to the next world. Microwave? Fire pit? Boiling water?

Oldfart, best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

boodles8

#6 Post by boodles8 »

Dan, I think you should stretch each one until it breaks and NOT between your teeth!
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

boodles8 wrote:Dan, I think you should stretch each one until it breaks and NOT between your teeth!
Actually I have done that already to one that snapped out of my mouth. I left the bag of elastics open so they all could witness the event, and then I left the pieces on my bathroom counter as a strong message of what happens to bad elastics in my house. That's how I roll.

No word from oldfart yet, so I am assuming the best.
Dan

kids041

#8 Post by kids041 »

djspeece wrote:Such an over-achiever :wink: .
I'm tired of them too. I try to whip them on as fast as possible these days, and they often end up flying off to snap a lip smartly, and all twisted around themselves. I'm hoping to get the braces off by the end of the year. So I have some time on how I can give any left-over elastics a fitting send-off to the next world. Microwave? Fire pit? Boiling water?

I have found that orthodontic elastics work great on the end of small braids in my hair, or on the end of a pastry bag when making royal icing for my cookies :)
So.... when I FINALLY am done with my elastics, I should have several good uses for the remainder.
The only problem is... I break them so easily- I go through like at least 8-10 elastics a day! (just HOW is that possible? ..they seem to get thin right where the hooks are, and break soon after. I am quite amazed at just how quickly they do break. I have tired the traditional ones and the colored ones... they both break quickly... It must be something I do with my mouth that causes them to snap. I do find my self unconsciously stretching them over and over... <sigh>That must be the problem. When I catch myself, I do stop, but unconsciously I must be doing it all day long. I notice that when I am under stress they break more.
... There may not be any leftover for my re-purposed uses :/

oldfart

#9 Post by oldfart »

When I first started wearing them eons ago I was good. Just over the last few months I found myself down to only 75% usage. I finally had an optimistic apt so trying to build on that optimism and not be so pessimistic.

At 24 hours of being good :).

Just gets frustrating at times realizing ive been in them 18 months, and still have at least another year.

of

oldfart

#10 Post by oldfart »

kids041 wrote:
djspeece wrote:Such an over-achiever :wink: .

I have found that orthodontic elastics work great on the end of small braids in my hair, or on the end of a pastry bag when making royal icing for my cookies :)
So.... when I FINALLY am done with my elastics, I should have several good uses for the remainder.
The only problem is... I break them so easily- I go through like at least 8-10 elastics a day! (just HOW is that possible? ..they seem to get thin right where the hooks are, and break soon after. I am quite amazed at just how quickly they do break. I have tired the traditional ones and the colored ones... they both break quickly... It must be something I do with my mouth that causes them to snap. I do find my self unconsciously stretching them over and over... <sigh>That must be the problem. When I catch myself, I do stop, but unconsciously I must be doing it all day long. I notice that when I am under stress they break more.
... There may not be any leftover for my re-purposed uses :/

Repeat after me.. Elastics are not to be used as a musical instrument in your mouth.....

oldfart

#11 Post by oldfart »

Did your guys jaws get sore and stiff from the elastics holding it in the same location all the time? I assume thats part of the goal, to retrain the bite and jaw muscles to be more accurate as I used to throw my bottom jaw forward to chew.

ljms

#12 Post by ljms »

oldfart wrote:Repeat after me.. Elastics are not to be used as a musical instrument in your mouth.....
Oh, I wish you hadn't said that. :lol:

boodles8

#13 Post by boodles8 »

Repeat after me.. Elastics are not to be used as a musical instrument in your mouth.....
But when else will I ever have a true mouth harp? I can't quite seem to nail a scale--not enough range.

Heh, at least I'm not the only one!
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

djspeece

#14 Post by djspeece »

boodles8 wrote:
But when else will I ever have a true mouth harp? I can't quite seem to nail a scale--not enough range.

Heh, at least I'm not the only one!
The best I have ever been able to do is hit two notes, sounding like some kind of a broken down, second-hand ukulele. It's my first stringed instrument, and I'm not very good yet (which is why I am a trumpet player -- what I lack in technique I make up for with sheer volume).
Dan

dahlia

#15 Post by dahlia »

I'm in! I'm not supposed to wear them while eating, but I've been pretty lax about putting them back in after meals and coffee and snacks (maybe I should cut back on incidental meals...).