Dr. says I cant fix overjet without surgery. alternativs?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SunshineRay

Re: Dr. says I cant fix overjet without surgery. alternativs

#16 Post by SunshineRay »

I had an overjet of 10-12 (dont remember anymore) and with 2 extractions I was able to have it fixed without surgery. The link to my story is in my signature.

jay123

#17 Post by jay123 »

[quote="SunshineRay"]I had an overjet of 10-12 (dont remember anymore) and with 2 extractions I was able to have it fixed without surgery. The link to my story is in my signature.[/quote]

do you have before and afters of your smile? your insecurities and description are exactly me. i avoid going to parties because im afraid of the pictures. Its so awful.

SunshineRay

#18 Post by SunshineRay »

jay123 wrote:
SunshineRay wrote:I had an overjet of 10-12 (dont remember anymore) and with 2 extractions I was able to have it fixed without surgery. The link to my story is in my signature.
do you have before and afters of your smile? your insecurities and description are exactly me. i avoid going to parties because im afraid of the pictures. Its so awful.
yeah they should be on the last page of my 'story'

klobird

#19 Post by klobird »

I also had a 10mm overjet. My overjet was corrected without surgery. The ortho used a Forsus appliance which looks worse than it is (mine had a lot of mechanical issues which made it hard to have, but other than that it wasnt so bad).
I got my braces off over a year ago....having full on Damon all metal braces was the best decision of my life... :D

jay123

#20 Post by jay123 »

So I saw another orthodontist.

He said I do not need a tooth removed (even though two others said I would) he also never mentioned anything about worrying about teeth grinding if the molars are realigned (grade 2 or type 2 or whatever- the other side is a type 1)- which makes me wonder if he's being honest?

He said I have a micrognathia slight in my lower jaw but its masked by my strong mandible and that braces will fix this. He said my overjet can be mostly fixed with braces. He said 2 years for 5200 cost.

I really like him and he seems nice- but he is giving me slight conflicting reports with the previous two. One (few years back) said he can remove tooth and do braces and fix- the other said he wont remove tooth and cant be fixed and this one says no need to remove tooth can be fixed.

For what its worth this guy and previous guy (who said cant fix) both charge about the same while the one a few years back charges the most (different more rural location).

Whats going on?

I have an appt for getting images on the 17th.

djspeece

#21 Post by djspeece »

Hard to say. Did you discuss the findings and recommendations from the other two orthos with him and ask for an analysis of why his approach was better? I think that would be about the only way to make an informed decision.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

sirwired

#22 Post by sirwired »

You are going to have to discuss the conflicting treatment approaches with the orthodontists you have consulted with and make your decision that way. Nobody here can possibly even provide the barest amount of advice on which treatment is best for you.

Bite measurements like overjet are only related to the position of the tips of the teeth; their primary purpose is for gauging the amount of net correction required. They don't do anything to measure why those measurements are the way they are. Somebody may have a huge overjet that is corrected with nothing more than palatal expansion. Somebody else may require surgery, and for a 3rd patient, extractions may be the only option. Other cases will require a combination of the above. The "correct" answer depends on the angles of the teeth, and the shape of the skull they sit in; there are entire textbooks written that cover just orthodontic diagnosis (and leave treatment to yet other books.)

For a complicated case, a treatment plan requires models, photos, measurements, a panorex, lateral and P-A cephalograms. And then all those pieces of diagnostic data get marked up, reference points identified, angles and distances measured, gums checked, etc. Overjet is a single isolated diagnostic measurement that is not particularly useful when deciding on the proper plan.

megs

#23 Post by megs »

[quote="klobird"]I also had a 10mm overjet. My overjet was corrected without surgery. The ortho used a Forsus appliance which looks worse than it is (mine had a lot of mechanical issues which made it hard to have, but other than that it wasnt so bad).
I got my braces off over a year ago....having full on Damon all metal braces was the best decision of my life... :D[/quote]

Hey your situation seems quite similar to mine, how long did you wear the rubber bands before moving onto Forsus? I have a 10mm overjet with 90% overbite, and i have just got onto rubber bands. My ortho said that I would need the forsus (or class 2 corrector as it is called in the UK), but I am really scared about wearing that, especially after all the pain I have been through wearing the lingual braces. Do you think rubber bands alone can help correct the bite or atleast narrow it down?