question about elastics...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

clearlybracedmomma23

question about elastics...

#1 Post by clearlybracedmomma23 »

ive had my elastics on for my overbite for a month now. i wear them rigorously as instructed i want to make the most of my treatment and not slow any progress. my teeth were sore from them the first few days as expected and then it went away...suddenly yesterday my teeth started to feel awfully sore again and I'm so confused as to why? is it normal for them to hurt again so suddenly with constant wear? the one tooth that is particularly the most sore/irritated is my upper right canine ( it was severely rotated at the beginning of treatment and nearing being completely de-rotated not quite but getting extremely close) and my elastics are on my top canines to my bottom second to last molars...could the irritation/soreness in the canine mean its experiencing lots of movement right now?

djspeece

Re: question about elastics...

#2 Post by djspeece »

I've been in elastics for over 18 months and they do cause discomfort if worn as instructed, at least in my case. I would not call it pain, but it is there. If I am not uncomfortable then I must not be doing it correctly. The great irony of orthodontics.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

clearlybracedmomma23

Re: question about elastics...

#3 Post by clearlybracedmomma23 »

djspeece wrote:I've been in elastics for over 18 months and they do cause discomfort if worn as instructed, at least in my case. I would not call it pain, but it is there. If I am not uncomfortable then I must not be doing it correctly. The great irony of orthodontics.

thanks for the reply dan! I'm glad its all relative to the process...being so early on into my treatment still I'm getting the hang of the constant changing of my bite and the here and there discomforts that come along with those changes. my elastics have made some very noticeable changes in my bite the last five weeks I've had them and also become easier to deal with as i get more and more used to them so the discomfort here and there is absolutely worth it! my next appointment is this friday and I'm hoping my rotated canine has finally de-rotated enough for my second activation to be done :HugeGrin: its been put off my last three appointments just waiting on the one tooth and of course I'm anxious to see more changes in my smile! hopefully my ortho is pleased with the progress with the elastics as well!

TheKT

Re: question about elastics

#4 Post by TheKT »

Something to note: I had elastics from day one and all throughout up until like my 6 or 7 month I experienced a lot of discomfort such as rubbing , internal soft tissue abrasions, etc that were at many times down right debilitating the majority of the 6-7 months. I always chalked the pain and uncomfortableness up to the new braces and rubber bands until it got so bad after one adjustment at like the 7 mo mark that I was diagnosed with a latex allergy. At that time my rubber bands were changed to non latex but remained the Same size and from that point on I have had absolutely no problems at all and not even a minor irritation. For those first 6-7 mos I struggled and suffered thinking it was part of the routine and that I had or suck it up. Just switching to non latex elastics made a world of difference and now I am 100% free for the irritation and pain.