Ramblings On Avoiding Exaggeration, Quackery and Malpractice

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ruthio

Re: Ramblings On Avoiding Exaggeration, Quackery and Malpractice

#16 Post by Ruthio »

This was a really reassuring read. Mainly I have been worried about extractions & changes to my face/profile. I questioned my Ortho & my dentist (who performed the extractions) & they both explained it really well. Thanks for your advice!

IssaAnon

#17 Post by IssaAnon »

Thanks for the great info. I'm getting my braces monday and the ortho said i need my 4 first premolars extracted. I got worried after reading some of the cases of sunken face etc. But your post made me less worried.

VMC296

#18 Post by VMC296 »

So great! Thank you for posting. I feel really stupid after listening to my dentist say that he could do the Invisalign treatment, no problem. I finally went to my first of many ortho consults and was shocked by how clearly and thoroughly they explained the different options, risks, and results.

ShiningCity

#19 Post by ShiningCity »

Pretty much all regular dentists push Invisalign, because they don't really need to be specialized to handle them. Really, all the doctor does is the initial scan. Then they send it off to Invisalign and they do all of the work. Then you go pick your trays from your dentist as they come in.

An orthodontist can do a lot of different treatment plans. Now if I was going to do Invisalign... yeah I'd go with a dentist, because like I said, they don't do anything really. A dentist is usually $1,000-$1,500

sirwired

#20 Post by sirwired »

A skilled orthodontist is rather unlikely to just accept the default plan that invisilign throws together, and there are lots of modifications that can be made to improve the overall outcome that involve records Invisilign doesn't even have.

Invisilign will produce trays for anything that's sent in, but they pointedly do NOT guarantee they'll be the correct ones or even that they'll work. That's the dentist's job, and it's not one they can properly learn over a weekend course at a hotel.

SmilinMammal

#21 Post by SmilinMammal »

I really wish I would have read this post before going to someone who does orthodontics as opposed to an orthodontist. I'm bailing out of my current provider and have to seek out a new one.

SSV

#22 Post by SSV »

Great post! I’m searching now for a new orthodontist.

Bryce24

#23 Post by Bryce24 »

That was a good read! As I am someone who's looking to get orthodontic treatment. Thanks

PrivatelyE5

#24 Post by PrivatelyE5 »

On the surgery note, what about Orthodontists who suggest the only solution is braces and surgery? That seems like the opposite side of the same coin, but maybe that's more realistic.