Should I be worried?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HeyKay1991

Should I be worried?

#1 Post by HeyKay1991 »

So, Monday night I was brushing my teeth and my toothbrush slipped and I kind of ended up accidentally yanking on my right front tooth. My teeth have been super sensitive since I got my braces on in May and now that tooth is extremely sore, sensitive to cold drinks , and definitely wiggles more than it did before. I have an adjustment at my ortho on Friday and I am going to get them to look at it. Should I be concerned though? Maybe I just irritated it? Advice would be great.

djspeece

Re: Should I be worried?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I don't think I would wait for an assessment given the level of your discomfort and the other symptoms you note. At the very least I would call the office and seek the ortho's advice on the urgency of an exam. I hope it is nothing. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

cata

#3 Post by cata »

Hopefully, it's nothing. If it makes you feel any better, my daughter hit her head really hard on my mouth a month after I got my braces on. I had one tooth that was incredibly sore for over a week. Everything was fine though.

TMJJill

#4 Post by TMJJill »

When I had concerns I always called. Sometimes I'd get advice on the phone, other times, they would have me come in.

When I had extra soreness with a tooth, they had me go back to a soft food diet for a bit until things calmed. I had a major incident with one tooth that resulted in going back to 2 weeks on soft food.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

homegrown

#5 Post by homegrown »

I think you have just irritated it. Whilst the teeth begin to move the supporting ligaments become quite loose. This can make the tooth feel like it could easily come out, but don't worry, it won't!
I'm just starting to get the message about being careful with what i eat as i have suffered for a while after biting into bagels etc. I think it's all about self managing our treatment as best we can.

HeyKay1991

#6 Post by HeyKay1991 »

Thanks for the advice guys! I went to my ortho this morning and the assistant looked at it, said it was fine but then fussed at me and told me I needed to be more careful (rude, accidents happen.) And then they punished me by putting elastics on my braces yaaaaay!