New wires w/new post - what is it for?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheKT

New wires w/new post - what is it for?

#1 Post by TheKT »

I have new wires and posts and chains. Does anyone know what these metal posts are supposed to be for? I also have wire wraps and some power chains. Want to know what specifically the posts are for. Thanks much!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joeyyeo

Re: New wires w/new post - what is it for?

#2 Post by joeyyeo »

My ortho gave me posts on both my upper and lower arch too, between the lateral incisors and canines. I am currently using the upper ones for class II elastics, where I connect elastics from those to my lower first molars. She also put powerchains from those to my molars (top to top, bottom to bottom, not sure if that makes sense) to help close my extraction gaps. I'm sure your ortho will have some use for them!
Upper braces off after 636 days!

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

Brackets on the front four teeth rarely have the post needed for elastics built in to the bracket. If the ortho needs to hook something there (usually an elastic), he/she needs to crimp one on the wire. (Some bracket lines have an 'accessory' slot built in to the bracket; apparently yours does not.)

TMJJill

#4 Post by TMJJill »

I agree. Sounds like you have elastics in your future.

I didn't discuss the elastics I'd be in before treatment. I had a couple early on, but was surprised when they started adding more hooks. Before I finished, I ended up with 20 hooks that I used. :roll:

They worked though. I have a great bite now. :mrgreen:

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

TheKT

#5 Post by TheKT »

Thanks for the replies...I already have had and continue an elastic regimen (as in 24/7 wear since day 1) and there is a bracket next to the tooth that has the new "pole" where I have been securing the elastic to my top tooth (only barely noticeable in the pic). So, it wasn't for the purpose of adding elastics. Guess I should have asked but reality is that I didn't notice the "poles" until later in the day at home. Thanks for your input everyone.